Determining the Minimum Force to Push a Crate

In summary, if you push up on the mass, the friction force decreases, and the object will move easier.
semc
You try to push a crate of weight M with a force F on a horizontal floor. The
coefficient of static friction is μs, and you exert the force F under an angle φ below the
horizontal.
Determine the minimum value of F that will move the crate.

Okay so basically what i did was equate Mμs=Fcos φ and evaluate for F. however the answer my teacher gave me is slightly different. He use Nμs=Fcos φand he found N by evaluating the forces in the y component. So the question is why can't i just equate the force applied with the static friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:
You try to push a crate of weight M with a force F on a horizontal floor. The
coefficient of static friction is μs, and you exert the force F under an angle φ below the
horizontal.
Determine the minimum value of F that will move the crate.

Okay so basically what i did was equate Mμs=Fcos φ and evaluate for F. however the answer my teacher gave me is slightly different. He use Nμs=Fcos φand he found N by evaluating the forces in the y component. So the question is why can't i just equate the force applied with the static friction?

Does your M stand for mass? If so your units will come out wrong for force.
If one pushes (y-component) down on a mass sitting on a surface then the Normal force is going to be different compared to the same mass pushed on perfectly horizontally, or the mass pushed up. So in your problem you are pushing horizontally and vertically.

pgardn said:
Does your M stand for mass? If so your units will come out wrong for force.
If one pushes (y-component) down on a mass sitting on a surface then the Normal force is going to be different compared to the same mass pushed on perfectly horizontally, or the mass pushed up. So in your problem you are pushing horizontally and vertically.

His M is weight, not mass, so unit-wise it works.

But the problem is just as you've pointed out.

The definition of the kinetic frictional force is: [tex]f_{s max}=\mu_s N[/tex] and NOT: [tex]f_{s max}\neq \mu_s W[/tex]

By pushing up on the mass, you're decreasing the normal force from the ground, thereby decreasing the friction force, and making life easier for yourself.

Last edited:
RoyalCat said:
His M is weight, not mass, so unit-wise it works.

But the problem is just as you've pointed out.

The definition of the kinetic frictional force is: [tex]f_{s max}=\mu_s N[/tex] and NOT: [tex]f_{s max}\neq \mu_s W[/tex]

By pushing up on the mass, you're decreasing the normal force from the ground, thereby decreasing the friction force, and making life easier for yourself.

Oops my bad as they say.

That is a really a potentially confusing symbol to use for weight...

Related to Determining the Minimum Force to Push a Crate

1. What is the purpose of determining the minimum force to push a crate?

The purpose of determining the minimum force to push a crate is to understand the amount of force required to move the crate from one point to another. This information is useful for planning and executing tasks that involve moving crates, such as warehouse operations or transportation logistics.

2. How is the minimum force to push a crate calculated?

The minimum force to push a crate can be calculated by using the formula F=μN, where F is the force required, μ is the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface it is being pushed on, and N is the normal force exerted on the crate. The normal force is typically equal to the weight of the crate.

3. What factors can affect the minimum force required to push a crate?

The factors that can affect the minimum force required to push a crate include the weight of the crate, the surface it is being pushed on, and the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface. Other factors such as the angle of the surface and the presence of obstacles may also affect the force required.

4. How does the angle of the surface affect the minimum force required to push a crate?

The angle of the surface can affect the minimum force required to push a crate by changing the normal force exerted on the crate. If the surface is inclined, the normal force will be less than the weight of the crate, making it easier to push. On the other hand, if the surface is declined, the normal force will be greater than the weight of the crate, making it harder to push.

5. Can the minimum force required to push a crate be reduced?

Yes, the minimum force required to push a crate can be reduced by decreasing the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface, or by using a smoother surface. Additionally, using a pulley or other mechanical advantage can also reduce the force required to push a crate.