Determining the direction of torque

In summary: Correct. And if you do the same at the bottom, you get that the force is to the left, so yes, the overall torque is clockwise seen from...In summary, Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October" has a scene where Jack Ryan tells the American submarine Captain that the Soviet Sub's next "Crazy Ivan" will be to starboard. He guesses correctly and gets the Captain to do what he wants. However, you can't always get lucky when guessing.
J6204
pic3.png

1. Homework Statement

1) I need to write the equation for torque on a current carrying loop in a magnetic field, which I believe i did correctly under the relevant euations section, does this formula look correct?

2) Use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the torque on the current carrying loop as shown in the figure

Homework Equations

T=NIABsintheta can be used to calculate torque a loop of N turns and A area, carrying I current feels in the prescence of a magnetic field B

The Attempt at a Solution

As for question 2, if I place my fingers in the direction of I, wouldn't I put them along the x-axis pointing toward the positive x axis, then curl them toward B, which would mean by palm would have to be upwards, leaving my thumb which would be the torque pointing outwards?

This is a little confusing to me I am not sure if I am using the correct formula or the proper use of the right hand rule

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When the current is parallel to the B-field, there isn't any force on the charges. The force is maximum when the current and B-field are at a right angle to each other, right? So just check the forces on the ring at the top and bottom of the ring. What directions are those 2 forces pushing on the ring?

berkeman said:
When the current is parallel to the B-field, there isn't any force on the charges. The force is maximum when the current and B-field are at a right angle to each other, right? So just check the forces on the ring at the top and bottom of the ring. What directions are those 2 forces pushing on the ring?
would the direction be counterclockwise?

J6204 said:
would the direction be counterclockwise?
How do you arrive at that answer?

berkeman said:
How do you arrive at that answer?
I assume its wrong haha but I thought that the I was spinning it counterclockwise

J6204 said:
I assume its wrong haha but I thought that the I was spinning it counterclockwise
Did you ever see the Tom Clancy movie "The Hunt for Red October"? There's a scene where Jack Ryan tells the American submarine Captain that the Soviet Sub's next "Crazy Ivan" will be to starboard. Turns out he was guessing, and he guessed right and got the Captain to do what he wanted.

But you can't always get lucky when guessing. Talk through the right hand rule and how it works at the top of the ring. Tell us which way your right thumb ends up pointing. You got it right in your last thread about the right hand rule...

berkeman said:
Did you ever see the Tom Clancy movie "The Hunt for Red October"? There's a scene where Jack Ryan tells the American submarine Captain that the Soviet Sub's next "Crazy Ivan" will be to starboard. Turns out he was guessing, and he guessed right and got the Captain to do what he wanted.

But you can't always get lucky when guessing. Talk through the right hand rule and how it works at the top of the ring. Tell us which way your right thumb ends up pointing. You got it right in your last thread about the right hand rule...
well that was a lucky guess haha well at the top of the ring aren't your fingers pointing left, then curl upwards the b, making your thumb go into the page? but clearly that isn't counterclockwise

nice bike btw

The way I interpret the drawing is that the ring mostly comes out of the page at us, and the B-field is vertical. So at the top of the ring I point my fingers in the direction of the current at the top of the ring, which means they are pointing into the page. I then curl my fingers in the direction of B...

berkeman said:
The way I interpret the drawing is that the ring mostly comes out of the page at us, and the B-field is vertical. So at the top of the ring I point my fingers in the direction of the current at the top of the ring, which means they are pointing into the page. I then curl my fingers in the direction of B...
okay the picture was confusing me a little, so at the top of the wing the current is going into the page, so point your fingers towards the page, now b is vertical so your palm must be facing up, so then curling it upwards wouldn't that leave your thumb pointing right, which would be clockwise not counterclockwise?

J6204 said:
which would be clockwise
Correct. And if you do the same at the bottom, you get that the force is to the left, so yes, the overall torque is clockwise seen from our vantage point. :smile:

Good thing you weren't Jack Ryan on that submarine! :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Correct. And if you do the same at the bottom, you get that the force is to the left, so yes, the overall torque is clockwise seen from our vantage point. :smile:

Good thing you weren't Jack Ryan on that submarine! :biggrin:
hahaha thanks for the help, I understand what is going on, and now I have another movie to watch

You're welcome. Yeah, that's one of my favorites -- several unexpected turns (even though I'd read the book too).

BTW, your puppy avatar is killing me here... :cool:

berkeman said:
You're welcome. Yeah, that's one of my favorites -- several unexpected turns (even though I'd read the book too).

BTW, your puppy avatar is killing me here... :cool:
hahaha not quite as cool as your bike though. One last question, if we are taking it from the top we get that it is pointing clockwise, but when taken from the bottom we get left which is counterclockwise, so the torque depends on the vantage point? so then how do you determine the actual direction if it varies from each vantage point?

J6204 said:
if we are taking it from the top we get that it is pointing clockwise, but when taken from the bottom we get left which is counterclockwise,
No, the force on the top of the ring is to the right, and the force on the bottom of the ring is to the left. Both of those forces contribute to a torque in the clockwise rotation direction for the ring.

oh yeah gotcha, thanks again!

Likes berkeman

Related to Determining the direction of torque

1. What is torque and why is it important to determine its direction?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is important to determine its direction because the direction of torque can impact the rotational motion of an object.

2. How is the direction of torque determined?

The direction of torque is determined by the direction of the force applied to an object and the direction of the lever arm, or the perpendicular distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied.

3. What are some common methods for determining the direction of torque?

Some common methods for determining the direction of torque include using the right-hand rule, using vector diagrams, and using the cross product of the force and the lever arm vectors.

4. What factors can affect the direction of torque?

The direction of torque can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the length of the lever arm, and the angle at which the force is applied to the object. Additionally, the direction of torque may change if the object's axis of rotation is not fixed.

5. Why is it important to understand the direction of torque in engineering and physics?

The direction of torque is crucial in engineering and physics because it can impact the stability, efficiency, and safety of machines and structures. Understanding the direction of torque allows for proper design and analysis of rotational systems.