Determining the Degrees of an Angle Given Three X and Y Coordinates

In summary, to determine the degrees of an angle given three X and Y coordinates, you can use the dot product of two vectors defined by the points and the formula theta = (180/pi) * arccos((a * b) / (|a| * |b|)). This formula takes into account the coordinates of the points and the length of the line segments between them.
xyle
How do I determine the degrees of an angle if I three X and Y coordinates? I honestly just need a formula to plug into some code. Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
xyle said:
How do I determine the degrees of an angle if I three X and Y coordinates? I honestly just need a formula to plug into some code. Thank you in advance.

Suppose the 3 points are given by:

\(\displaystyle \left(x_i,y_i\right)\) where \(\displaystyle i\in\{1,2,3\}\)

Now further suppose we wish to make one line segment from point 1 to point 2, and another from point 2 to point 3, and then find the angle, in degrees, subtended by the two segments. I would begin by defining the vectors:

\(\displaystyle a=\left\langle x_2-x_1,y_2-y_1 \right\rangle\)

\(\displaystyle b=\left\langle x_3-x_2,y_3-y_2 \right\rangle\)

And then, from the dot product of the two vectors, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{180^{\circ}}{\pi}\arccos\left(\frac{a\cdot b}{|a||b|}\right)\)

where:

\(\displaystyle a\cdot b=\left(x_2-x_1\right)\left(x_3-x_2\right)+\left(y_2-y_1\right)\left(y_3-y_2\right)\)

\(\displaystyle |a|=\sqrt{\left(x_2-x_1\right)^2+\left(y_2-y_1\right)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle |b|=\sqrt{\left(x_3-x_2\right)^2+\left(y_3-y_2\right)^2}\)

Does that make sense?

Related to Determining the Degrees of an Angle Given Three X and Y Coordinates

1. What is an angle?

An angle is a geometric figure formed by two rays or lines that share a common endpoint, also known as a vertex. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

2. How do you find the degrees of an angle?

To find the degrees of an angle, you can use a protractor or a formula. If using a protractor, place the center of the protractor over the vertex of the angle, align one of the protractor's arms with one side of the angle, and then read the measurement on the protractor's scale. If using a formula, divide the arc length of the angle by the radius of the circle it is inscribed in, and then multiply that value by 180 degrees.

3. Can an angle have more than 360 degrees?

Yes, an angle can have more than 360 degrees if it is measured on a circular or spiral shape. However, in standard geometric figures, an angle cannot have more than 360 degrees as it would be equivalent to a full rotation.

4. How do you measure angles greater than 180 degrees?

To measure angles greater than 180 degrees, you can use a protractor with an extended scale that goes up to 360 degrees. Alternatively, you can subtract 180 degrees from the angle's measurement to find the reference angle, which is the angle between the positive x-axis and the terminal side of the angle.

5. Can angles be negative?

Yes, angles can be negative. A negative angle is formed when the rotation is clockwise instead of counterclockwise. It is measured in the opposite direction of positive angles and has a negative value. Negative angles can be converted to positive angles by adding 360 degrees to its measurement.