Determining the constructability of angles

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation discusses whether 6 degrees, 5 degrees, and 7.5 degrees are constructable angles. The speaker mentions using trig identities and the rational roots theorem to determine their constructibility, but is unable to find a simple relationship for 6 degrees. They also mention the constructibility of angles in polygons and the relationship between 30 and 36 degrees in determining constructibility.
trap101
Are 6 degrees, 5 degrees, and 7.5 degrees constructable?

So based on the theorems that I know, these angles are constructable iff the cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex] is constructible. So all that is left for me to do is show if cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex] is constructable.

For 6 degrees, I tried to get a relatonship with the trig identity of cos(3[itex]\vartheta[/itex]) = 4cos3([itex]\vartheta[/itex]) - 3cos([itex]\vartheta[/itex]) because from there I could use the fact that if I can obtain a solution of the 3rd degree polynomial, then based on the rational roots theorem I could determine if the angle is constructible. My issue is, I couldn't find a simple relationship for 6degrees. I tried some higher level trig identities and "attempted" to simplify, but it started to appear futile.

So now I'm at a cross roads. Same with the other two.

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Are 6 degrees, 5 degrees, and 7.5 degrees constructable?

So based on the theorems that I know, these angles are constructable iff the cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex] is constructible. So all that is left for me to do is show if cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex] is constructable.

For 6 degrees, I tried to get a relatonship with the trig identity of cos(3[itex]\vartheta[/itex]) = 4cos3([itex]\vartheta[/itex]) - 3cos([itex]\vartheta[/itex]) because from there I could use the fact that if I can obtain a solution of the 3rd degree polynomial, then based on the rational roots theorem I could determine if the angle is constructible. My issue is, I couldn't find a simple relationship for 6degrees. I tried some higher level trig identities and "attempted" to simplify, but it started to appear futile.

So now I'm at a cross roads. Same with the other two.

Think about polygons that have constructible angles. A pentagon is constructible. That means 72 degrees is constructible. If that's constructible then 36 degrees is also constructible. Why? 30 degrees is also constructible. Why? That would mean 36-30 is also constructible. Why?

Related to Determining the constructability of angles

What is the definition of constructability of angles?

The constructability of angles refers to the ability to accurately and precisely create or construct a given angle using geometric tools and techniques.

How do you determine the constructability of an angle?

The constructability of an angle can be determined by examining the given angle's measurement and determining if it can be replicated using geometric tools such as a compass and straightedge.

What factors can affect the constructability of an angle?

The constructability of an angle can be affected by factors such as the precision and accuracy of the tools being used, the complexity of the angle, and the skill level of the person constructing the angle.

What are some common methods for determining the constructability of angles?

Some common methods for determining the constructability of angles include using a protractor to measure the angle, dividing the angle into smaller, more manageable angles, and using geometric constructions to replicate the angle.

Why is it important to determine the constructability of angles?

Determining the constructability of angles is important because it ensures the accuracy and precision of geometric constructions and measurements. It also allows for the creation of angles that are essential in many mathematical and scientific applications.