.Determining Reflected & Transmitted Waves

• Thread starter sweetvirgogirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the reflected and transmitted waves given a wave function and potential step. The book suggests enforcing continuity conditions to obtain their (possibly complex) amplitudes. However, the question is vague and the exact conditions are not clear. It is suggested that the wavefunction and its derivative must be continuous at the barrier's edge to satisfy the equation.
sweetvirgogirl
if you know the wave ...
how do you determine the reflected and transmitted waves?

the book tells you to enforce the required continuity conditions to obtain their (possibly complex) amplitudes

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetvirgogirl said:
if you know the wave ...
how do you determine the reflected and transmitted waves?
the book tells you to enforce the required continuity conditions to obtain their (possibly complex) amplitudes

You cannot expect a coherent answer when you ask something this vague.

Zz.

As vague as that question is, I think the answer you are looking for is that:

Y= Psi because I don't know how the nifty regulars use that fancy font
Yi: Incident wave
Yr: Reflected wave
Yt: Transmitted wave
Y': Derivative of wave equations with respect to position (x)

Lets assume that the potential barrier is at x = a
you have two continuity equations

Yi(a) + Yr(a) = Yt(a)
Yi'(a) + Yr'(a) = Yt'(a)

I doubt that answers your question since I am not sure what it is, but you can figure everything out from these continuity equations.

elhinnaw said:
As vague as that question is, I think the answer you are looking for is that:
Yi: Incident wave
Yr: Reflected wave
Yt: Transmitted wave
Y': Derivative of wave equations with respect to position (x)
Lets assume that the potential barrier is at x = a
you have two continuity equations
Yi(a) + Yr(a) = Yt(a)
Yi'(a) + Yr'(a) = Yt'(a)
I doubt that answers your question since I am not sure what it is, but you can figure everything out from these continuity equations.

Let me type the exact q ...

A beam of particles of energy E and incident upon a potential step of U0 = 3/4 E is described bby the wae funciton
Y(x) = 1 e^(ikx)
The amplitude of the wave (related to the number incident per unit distance) is arbitrarily chosen as unity.
a) Determine completely the reflected and transmitted waves by enforcing the required continuity conditions to obtain their (possibly comlex) amplitudes
b) Verify that the ratio of reflected probability desnity to the incident probability desnity agrees with
the equation ... T = ... R = ...

what i don't get is what the hell is "required continuity conditions"

The wavefunction and it's derivative must be continuous at the barrier's edge.

inha said:
The wavefunction and it's derivative must be continuous at the barrier's edge.
...which is a specific part of the requirement that the wavefunction be continuously derivable EVERYWHERE.

elhinnaw said:
You can use https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf" from where you can copy and paste individual characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
wave function derivatives

Gokul43201 said:
...which is a specific part of the requirement that the wavefunction be continuously derivable EVERYWHERE.
Gokul, with step functions, delta-functions, and linear-cusp functions being commonplace portions of model potentials, that was a VERY misleading thing to say.
If the Potential is smooth, then the wave function will be also;
If the Potential has infinities, jumps, or kinks, then the wave function
will have discontinuous 1st, 2nd, or 3rd derivitives ...
otherwise the equation isn't satisfied.

Related to .Determining Reflected & Transmitted Waves

1. How do you determine the amount of reflection and transmission of waves?

The amount of reflection and transmission of waves can be determined by measuring the amplitude of the incident wave and the reflected/transmitted wave. The ratio of the amplitudes will give you the percentage of reflection and transmission.

2. What factors affect the amount of reflection and transmission of waves?

The amount of reflection and transmission of waves is affected by the angle of incidence, the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, and the wavelength of the wave. Different materials have different reflectivity and transmissivity properties, which also affect the amount of reflection and transmission.

3. How do you calculate the angle of reflection for a wave?

The angle of reflection can be calculated using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the angle of reflection can be found by measuring the angle between the incident wave and the normal line to the surface.

4. Can the amount of reflection and transmission of waves be changed?

Yes, the amount of reflection and transmission of waves can be changed by altering the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through. For example, using a material with high reflectivity can increase the amount of reflection, while using a material with high transmissivity can increase the amount of transmission.

5. How is the amount of reflection and transmission of waves used in real-world applications?

The amount of reflection and transmission of waves is used in a variety of real-world applications, including telecommunications, radar systems, and medical imaging. By understanding the properties of reflected and transmitted waves, scientists and engineers are able to design and optimize these systems for specific purposes.