Determining Limits for Multivariable Functions

In summary, the problem asks for the limit of a function as x and y approach 2. The attempt at a solution involved trying different approaches, such as using a line y=2 and converting to polar form, but no simplification was found. It was noted that the degrees of the numerator and denominator do not match, suggesting that the limit does not exist. However, factoring the expression yielded a potential solution of 0/0, indicating further steps may be needed to solve the problem.
paul2211

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 2\\y\rightarrow 2}} f(x,y)=\frac{2x^2+2xy+2x-xy^2-y^3-y^2}{2x^3-2x^2y+2x-x^2y^2+xy^3-y^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried using the line y = 2, and let x approach 2 (as well as making x=2 and let y approach 2), and nothing really seems to cancel when I do that.

I also tried converting everything to polar form and let r approach 2[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], but again, everything just looks really messy.

This is a previous year's test question, and it's not worth much marks, so I think I'm missing some trick/procedure to simplify this question.

Also, I think this does not have a limit because the degree of the top (3) is less than the degree of the bottom (4); however, I'm not sure of how to prove this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "nothing really seems to cancel". You should get the indeterminate form, 0/0 .

Factoring the numerator gives [itex](x+y+1) (2 x-y^2)\,.[/itex]

Factoring the denominator gives [itex](x^2-x y+1) (2 x-y^2)\,.[/itex]

When I said "nothing seems to cancel", I just meant that the variables don't cancel out. For example, we can sometimes sub in y=mx^2, into a function to balance out the powers and allow the x to divide out, leaving a limit that changes depending on m.

Anyway, thank you very much for helping me regarding this problem.

Related to Determining Limits for Multivariable Functions

What is a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a type of mathematical function that involves more than one independent variable. This means that the output of the function depends on multiple inputs, rather than just one.

Why are limits important in multivariable functions?

Limits are important in multivariable functions because they help us understand the behavior of the function as the inputs approach certain values. This can be useful in applications such as optimization, where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

How do you determine the limit of a multivariable function?

To determine the limit of a multivariable function, you need to approach the limit point along different paths and see if the function approaches a single value or if it has different values depending on the path. If the function has different values along different paths, then the limit does not exist.

Can you find the limit of a multivariable function algebraically?

In some cases, yes. If the function is continuous and well-behaved, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution or factoring to find the limit. However, in more complex cases, it may be necessary to use graphical or numerical methods to determine the limit.

What are some common mistakes when determining limits for multivariable functions?

One common mistake is assuming that the limit exists without checking along multiple paths. Another mistake is not considering the behavior of the function as it approaches the limit point from different directions. It is also important to make sure that the function is continuous at the limit point, as this is a necessary condition for the limit to exist.