Determining Legendre derivitives

• Thread starter lycraa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Legendre
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the Legendre derivative of the first Legendre polynomial, P1(cos\Theta). The solution involves using the chain rule and substituting x = cos\Theta, resulting in a derivative of -sin(\Theta). The importance of differentiating with respect to theta is also mentioned.
lycraa
Determining Legendre derivitives

Homework Statement

if i need to find the derivative of the first Legendre polynomial, P1(cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]) can i sub in cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] for x in P1(x) = x?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if that's the case the derivitive is just -sin([tex]\Theta[/tex]), which is easy enough, but if i can't do that substitution then how do i find it? if there is a recurrence relation that I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

that sounds fine to me base don the info you have given, but maybe you should give the whole question - also what you are differentiating with respect to is important, i assume it is theta

basically you are just using chain rule
[tex] P_1(x(\theta))[/tex]

where
[tex] x(\theta) = sin(\theta)[/tex]

then
[tex] \frac{d}{d \theta}P_1(x(\theta))
= \frac{d P_1(x)}{dx } \frac{d x(\theta)}{d \theta }

[/tex]

Related to Determining Legendre derivitives

1. What is a Legendre derivative?

A Legendre derivative is a mathematical concept used in classical mechanics and thermodynamics to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variables.

2. How is a Legendre derivative calculated?

A Legendre derivative is calculated by taking the partial derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables and then substituting the derivative into the original function. This results in a new function with one less variable.

3. What is the significance of Legendre derivatives in physics?

Legendre derivatives are important in physics because they help us to understand the behavior of physical systems and how they change over time. They are particularly useful in describing systems with multiple variables and constraints.

4. Can Legendre derivatives be negative?

Yes, Legendre derivatives can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing with respect to the variable on which the derivative is taken. In other words, the rate of change of the function is decreasing as the variable increases.

5. What is the difference between a Legendre derivative and a regular derivative?

A Legendre derivative is a specific type of derivative that is used in the context of multivariable functions and constraints. It differs from a regular derivative in that it takes into account the constraints of a system and can result in a new function with a different number of variables. Regular derivatives, on the other hand, only consider the change of a function with respect to one variable at a time.