Determining joint probability density function

In summary, to find the joint PDF of X(t) and X'(t), you can either use the transformation method or the definition of a joint PDF. Additionally, you will need to take into account the variability of A and ϕ when determining the joint PDF of X(t) and X'(t).
L.Richter

Homework Statement

A process X(t) is defined as

X(t) = Asin(ωt + [itex]\phi[/itex])

where A and [itex]\phi[/itex] are random variables while ω is a deterministic parameter. Note that A is a positive random variable.

Determine the joint probability density function, PDF, of X(t) and X'(t) in terms of the joint PDF of A and [itex]\phi[/itex].

Homework Equations

PDF of X(t), PX(t)(x) = ∫FX(x)dx

Is there another way to determine the PDF of a function that is multivariate, but not necessarily exponential, Gaussian or Gamma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not understanding how to get a joint PDF in terms of another joint PDF. Please advise. I'm not sure which functions belong where in the equations. I put the PDF equation since its the one I'm struggling with. I know that if I assume independence then I can get the joint PDF as a product of the individual PDFs. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

There are a few different ways you could approach this problem. One approach would be to use the transformation method, where you first find the joint PDF of A and ϕ and then use that to find the joint PDF of X(t) and X'(t). This method would require you to use the Jacobian determinant to convert between the two sets of variables.

Another approach would be to use the definition of a joint PDF, which is the probability of the random variables taking on a specific set of values. In this case, you would need to determine the probability that X(t) and X'(t) take on specific values, given the joint PDF of A and ϕ.

It's also worth noting that since A and ϕ are random variables, the joint PDF of X(t) and X'(t) will also be a random variable. So even if you know the joint PDF of A and ϕ, you will still need to take into account the variability in those variables when determining the joint PDF of X(t) and X'(t).

Related to Determining joint probability density function

What is a joint probability density function?

A joint probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of two or more random variables occurring simultaneously. It is used to determine the likelihood of multiple events happening together, rather than independently.

How is a joint probability density function different from a regular probability density function?

A regular probability density function describes the probability of a single random variable occurring. A joint PDF, on the other hand, describes the probability of multiple variables occurring together. It takes into account the relationship between the variables and how they may affect each other's probabilities.

What is the formula for determining a joint probability density function?

The formula for a joint PDF is P(X=x, Y=y) = f(x,y), where X and Y are the random variables and f(x,y) is the PDF function. This formula can be used to calculate the probability of any combination of values for the two variables.

How is a joint probability density function used in real-world applications?

A joint PDF is commonly used in statistics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems. It can help determine the likelihood of certain events occurring, as well as the relationship between multiple variables in a system. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis to make predictions and decisions based on multiple variables.

What are some limitations of using a joint probability density function?

A joint PDF assumes that the variables are independent and normally distributed. In real-world situations, this may not always be the case. Additionally, it can be challenging to accurately estimate the parameters of the joint PDF, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Lastly, a joint PDF may become computationally complex when dealing with a large number of variables or a complex system.