Determining if this degree sequence is graphic

In summary, the conversation discusses determining if a given degree sequence is graphic using the Havel-Hakimi theorem. The steps for applying the theorem are mentioned, including checking for an even sum and reordering the sequence from largest to smallest after subtracting 1 from the next element. It is noted that the sequence provided is not graphic due to a mistake in applying the algorithm, but with the correct steps, it is shown to be graphic.
in the rye

Homework Statement

Determine if the degree sequence 3,3,2,2,2,2 is graphic.

Homework Equations

Havel-Hakimi

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Check to see if the sum is even:
3+3+2+2+2+2 = 16It is even, therefore apply Havel-Hakimi

3,3,2,2,2,2 -> remove the 3 and subtract the next 3 by 1
2,1,1,2,2 -> remove the 2 and subtract the next 2 by 1
0,0,2,2 -> reorder from largest to smallest
2,2,0,0 -> remove the 2 and subtract 1 from the next 2
1,-1,0 -> reached a negative, stop

Therefore the sequence is not graphic.

The solution says it is graphic and provides no explanation.

Am I misunderstanding Havel-Hakimi Theorem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I don't understand your steps. It looks to me like you did not reorder every time it was necessary to make the sequence non-increasing.

Likes in the rye
FactChecker said:
Maybe I don't understand your steps. It looks to me like you did not reorder every time it was necessary to make the sequence non-increasing.
Facepalm. I completely missed that... I went back an re-looked at the problem before coming back to this post. It worked out when I applied the alogorithm correctly... thanks haha

Likes FactChecker

Related to Determining if this degree sequence is graphic

1. What is a degree sequence?

A degree sequence is a list of numbers representing the degrees of each vertex in a graph.

2. How can I determine if a degree sequence is graphic?

A degree sequence is graphic if it can be represented by a simple graph with the given degrees for each vertex.

3. What is a simple graph?

A simple graph is an undirected graph with no loops or multiple edges between any two vertices.

4. What is the Havel-Hakimi algorithm?

The Havel-Hakimi algorithm is an algorithm used to determine if a given degree sequence is graphic by repeatedly removing the largest degree and decreasing the remaining degrees until either a graphic sequence is obtained or it is proven to be non-graphic.

5. Can a non-graphic degree sequence be made graphic by rearranging the numbers?

No, a non-graphic degree sequence cannot be made graphic by rearranging the numbers. The Havel-Hakimi algorithm shows that if a degree sequence is non-graphic, it cannot be made graphic by rearranging the numbers.