Determining Ground State of an Atom: Pauli, Hunds, Coloumb's Rules

In summary, the three principles needed to determine the electronic structure of an atom's ground state are Pauli's exclusion principle, Hund's rule, and the principle that states that the lowest energy states are filled first. While some sources may refer to "Hund's three rules," all three can be found under the umbrella of Hund's rule. The third principle may also be referred to as the principle of lowest energy state filling.
ghostbuster25
im looking for the 3 principals i need to be employ in determining the electronic structure of the ground state of an atom

Ive got Paulis exclusion principle where no 2 electrons in an atom can occupy the same quantum state and hunds rule of the total spin of the electrons always has it maximum possible value...butam a bit stuck on the third.

i guess I am leaning towards the electrostatic potential energy of the electron and the proton...would this be right? I am thinking coloumbs rule would be the one but just want to double check

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think so because I've been already told its Pauli's principle and Hund's rule. In the text I am giving it doesn't mention the 3 Hunds rules just the one i stated above. Hmmm i thought i had it solved with the columbs law but am not too sure now ha ha

Could it be the principle that states of lowest energy fill first?

yer that's what i have been leaning towards after reading a bit more

Related to Determining Ground State of an Atom: Pauli, Hunds, Coloumb's Rules

1. What is the ground state of an atom?

The ground state of an atom is the lowest energy state that an electron can occupy in an atom. It is the most stable configuration for an atom.

2. What are Pauli's rules for determining the ground state of an atom?

Pauli's exclusion principle states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. This means that each electron must have a unique combination of spin and orbital quantum numbers.

3. What are Hund's rules for determining the ground state of an atom?

Hund's rules state that when orbitals of equal energy are available, electrons will occupy separate orbitals with parallel spins before pairing up. This results in the maximum possible total spin, making the atom more stable.

4. How does Coulomb's law come into play when determining the ground state of an atom?

Coulomb's law states that opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel. This is important in determining the ground state of an atom because electrons are negatively charged and are attracted to the positively charged nucleus. The arrangement of electrons in an atom is influenced by this attraction and repulsion.

5. Can the ground state of an atom change?

Yes, the ground state of an atom can change if it gains or loses energy. This can happen through processes such as absorption or emission of photons, or through interactions with other atoms or particles. When the energy of an atom changes, its electrons can move to different energy levels, resulting in a different ground state.