Solving Erbium's Ground State w/ Hund's Rules

In summary, Hund's rules were used to calculate the ground state of erbium with electron configuration [Xe]4f126s2. The solution was found to be S=1, L=5, and J=6 for the 12 electrons in the unfilled f orbital. However, the solution given was S=3, L=9, and J=12, which can also be found using the holes method.
SteveDC
I have the solution for this problem but don't understand it.

1. Homework Statement

Use Hund's rules to calculate the ground state of erbium with electron configuration [Xe]4f126s2

Homework Equations

Hunds Rules:
1. Maximise S (within Pauli)

2. Maximise L (within Pauli)

3. Min J (for less than half-filled orbitals) or Max J (for more than half-filled orbitals)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used these rules on the 12 electrons in unfilled f orbital and I arrived at S=1, L=5, and therefore J=S+L=6 but the solution which I have been given is: S=3, L=9, J=12

Can anyone confirm if the solution is correct and where I am going wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SteveDC said:
So I used these rules on the 12 electrons in unfilled f orbital and I arrived at S=1, L=5, and therefore J=S+L=6 but the solution which I have been given is: S=3, L=9, J=12
Your solution is correct.

For more than half-filled shells, it is easier to work with holes than with electrons: f12 and f2 generate the same terms. That will tell you quickly what the solution is.

Great, thanks. And cheers for the tip, the holes method is much quicker!

Related to Solving Erbium's Ground State w/ Hund's Rules

1. What is Erbium's ground state?

Erbium's ground state is the lowest energy state that an erbium atom can exist in. It is the state in which the electrons are most stable and closest to the nucleus.

2. How do Hund's rules play a role in solving Erbium's ground state?

Hund's rules are a set of guidelines that help predict the arrangement of electrons in an atom's orbitals. In the case of erbium, Hund's rules can be used to determine the number and arrangement of electrons in the atom's outermost energy level, also known as the valence electrons.

3. What are the three Hund's rules?

The three Hund's rules are: (1) the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill the lowest energy orbitals first, (2) the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers, and (3) Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity, which states that electrons will occupy orbitals of the same energy level with parallel spins before pairing up.

4. How do you determine the number of valence electrons in erbium using Hund's rules?

To determine the number of valence electrons in erbium, you can use Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity. First, find the electron configuration of erbium (1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 4d10 4f12). Then, count the number of electrons in the outermost energy level (4f) and multiply it by two to account for the two possible spin states. In this case, erbium has 24 valence electrons.

5. Why is it important to know Erbium's ground state?

Knowing Erbium's ground state is important because it provides valuable information about the atom's properties and behavior. It can help predict the atom's reactivity, chemical bonding, and magnetic properties. Additionally, understanding Hund's rules and applying them to solve erbium's ground state can help in further research and experiments involving this element.