Determining convergence, monoticity and possible bounds

In summary, my problem is to determine if a sequence is convergent by deciding on wether its monotone increasing or decreasing, and to identify a bound if it exists. Given x(sub n) = n/2^n, first I plugged in n values and found that as n gets bigger x(sub n) gets smaller and appears to go to zero. So I know I want to show/prove that the sequence is monotone decreasing and is bounded by zero. By induction I find that when n=1 , x(sub n)= 1/2. and i have x(sub n+1)= (n+1)/2^(n+1). However, by manipulating the inequality
Nerpilis
my problem is to determine if a sequence is convergent by deciding on wether its monotone increasing or decreasing, and to identify a bound if it exists. given x(sub n) = n/2^n.

first I pluged in n values and found that as n gets bigger x(sub n) gets smaller and appears to go to zero. so I know I want to show/prove that the sequence is monotone decreasing and is bounded by zero. by induction i find that when n=1 , x(sub n)= 1/2. and i have x(sub n+1)= (n+1)/2^(n+1).

(this is about where i start to feel less confident, I'm not sure if I'm using induction properly and also on my next step I'm stuck on manipulating the inequality).

now I have x(sub n+1) < x(sub n). substituting and rearanging the inequality I get:
[(n+1)/2^(n+1)]-[n/2^n]<0
[(2^n)(n+1)-(n)(2^(n+1)]/(2^n)(2^(n+1))<0

This is where I am stuck, my strong points do not lie with manipulating inequalities with variables in the exponets (any links or suggestions to help me view examples of tricks of the trade here are welcome) also is this sufficient enough to state that it has a lower bound and the lim n/2^n = 0 as n goes to infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that 2^(n + 1) = 2 * 2^n? Hence

(n + 1)/2^(n + 1) < n/2^n
<=>
(n + 1)/(2 * 2^n) < n/2^n

and you can cancel 1/2^n from both sides, leaving something which is very easy to prove.

wow ok that is very clever, it was staring at me the whole time and i missed it. now i have the inequality to show:
(1-n)/(2)(2^n)<0<n/2^n for n>1 then that would definitely make x(sub n+1)<x(sub n) thus proving monotone decreasing convergence. I know that this sequence's limit is zero and is bounded by zero but I' not sure how to 'prove' it besides just looking at it and saying it goes to zero.

If you know the binomial theorem, you can use that to estimate 2^n (i.e (1 + 1)^n), and then use the squeeze theorem...

But a more elementary approach is to find a recursive formula relating x_(n + 1) to x_n. If you take limits on both sides of the recurrence equation, everything should fall out nicely.

Last edited:

Related to Determining convergence, monoticity and possible bounds

1. How do you determine convergence?

Convergence can be determined by analyzing the behavior of a sequence or series as the number of terms increases. If the terms of the sequence or series approach a finite limit, it is said to be convergent. This can be checked by using various tests such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test.

2. What does monoticity mean in the context of determining convergence?

Monoticity refers to the behavior of a sequence or series in terms of its increasing or decreasing nature. A monotonically increasing sequence or series will continue to increase as more terms are added, while a monotonically decreasing sequence or series will continue to decrease. This can help in determining convergence as it provides information about the behavior of the sequence or series.

3. How can possible bounds be determined when analyzing convergence?

Possible bounds can be determined by using the comparison test or by finding the limit of a sequence or series. The comparison test compares the behavior of a given sequence or series to a known convergent or divergent sequence or series. The limit of a sequence or series can also provide information about the possible bounds as it represents the value that the terms of the sequence or series approach as the number of terms increases.

4. What is the purpose of determining convergence, monoticity, and possible bounds?

Determining convergence, monoticity, and possible bounds is important in analyzing the behavior of mathematical sequences and series. It allows us to determine if a sequence or series will approach a finite limit or if it will continue to increase or decrease without limit. This information can be used in various applications, such as in predicting the behavior of systems or in solving mathematical problems.

5. Are there any other methods for determining convergence, monoticity, and possible bounds?

Yes, there are other methods such as the integral test, the alternating series test, and the direct comparison test. These tests can be used to determine convergence and provide information about the behavior of a sequence or series. However, the choice of method may depend on the specific characteristics of the sequence or series being analyzed.