Determining At Which Points A Function is Analytic (Holomorphic) and Singular

In summary, the function ##\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{z}## is analytic at every point in the complex plane except for ##z=(0,0)##, where it is a singular point. The Cauchy-Riemann equations tell us that a function is differentiable at a point if the partial derivatives satisfy certain conditions, and we can use this to determine the points of differentiability for ##f(z)##.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

I have to determine at which points the function ##\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{z}## is analytic.

I just want to verify that I understand what the Cauchy-Riemann equations tells us about a function, in terms of its differentiability, and what it means for a function to be analytic (holomorphic).

Let's look at the first function.

##\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{z} = z^{-1} = \frac{x}{x^ + y^2} + i \frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}##. This gives us the real function

##\displaystyle u(x,y) = \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} ##, which has the partials

##\displaystyle u_x = \frac{x \cdot 2x - 1 \cdot (x^2 + y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{2x^2 - x^2 - y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} = \frac{x^2 - y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} ##

and

##\displaystyle u_y = \frac{x \cdot 2y - 0 \cdot (x^2 + y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{2xy}{(x^2+y^2)^2}##

The imaginary function is ##\displaystyle v(x,y) = \frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}##, which has the partials

##\displaystyle v_x = -y \cdot (x^2 + y^2 )^{-2} (2x) = \frac{-2xy}{(x^2 + y^2)^2}##

and

##\displaystyle v_y = \frac{-y \cdot (2y) - (-1) \cdot (x^2 + y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{-2y^2 + x^2 + y^2}{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = \frac{x^2 - y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}##

Now, there is a theorem which states that a function ##f(z)## is differentiable at a point if that point satisfies the conditions

##\displaystyle u_ x = v_y## and ##\displaystyle u_y = - v_x## (Cauchy-Riemann equations)

Consequently, any point ##z## which does not satisfy these equations is a point at which ##f(z)## is not differentiable.

Clearly, if I substitute in the partials, I will find that the equations are satisfied for every complex number, except ##z=(0,0)##. Therefore, the function is differentiable everywhere, except ##z=(0,0)##.

Now, I claim that the function is analytic everywhere because I can form an open disk around around any point in the plane, and the disk will only enclose points at which ##f(z)## is differentiable.

Does this sound correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I am not certain that it would be analytic at ##z=(0,0)##. Here are the definitions of analyticity in an open set and at a given point ##z_0##:

1) A function of a complex variable ##z## is analytic (regular, holomorphic) in an open set if
it has a derivative at each point in the set. (Note that here derivatives and analyticity
are not defined on boundaries - only in neighborhoods.)

2) A function of a complex variable ##z## is analytic at a point ##z_0## if it is analytic in some
open set containing ##z_0##.

If I understand these correctly, which I previously thought I did, then for ##f(z)## to be analytic at the point ##z_0##, I must be able to find an open disk which includes ##z_0## and the function must be differentiable at every point in the disk--which would include ##z_0##. If this is so, then ##z=0## would not be analytic. Consequently, it would be a singular point.

Bashyboy said:
Actually, I am not certain that it would be analytic at ##z=(0,0)##. Here are the definitions of analyticity in an open set and at a given point ##z_0##:

1) A function of a complex variable ##z## is analytic (regular, holomorphic) in an open set if
it has a derivative at each point in the set. (Note that here derivatives and analyticity
are not defined on boundaries - only in neighborhoods.)

2) A function of a complex variable ##z## is analytic at a point ##z_0## if it is analytic in some
open set containing ##z_0##.

If I understand these correctly, which I previously thought I did, then for ##f(z)## to be analytic at the point ##z_0##, I must be able to find an open disk which includes ##z_0## and the function must be differentiable at every point in the disk--which would include ##z_0##. If this is so, then ##z=0## would not be analytic. Consequently, it would be a singular point.

Right. It's analytic at every point except z=0.

Likes Bashyboy

Related to Determining At Which Points A Function is Analytic (Holomorphic) and Singular

1. What is the definition of a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that it can be written as a power series with a positive radius of convergence.

2. How can I determine if a function is analytic or holomorphic?

A function is analytic or holomorphic if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of conditions for complex differentiability. These equations involve the partial derivatives of the function with respect to its real and imaginary components.

3. Can a function be analytic at some points and singular at others?

Yes, a function can be both analytic and singular at different points. A function is singular at a point if it is not differentiable at that point, while it is analytic at a point if it is differentiable at that point.

4. How can I determine if a function is singular at a given point?

A function is singular at a point if it has a singularity at that point, which can be a pole, essential singularity, or removable singularity. To determine the type of singularity at a point, you can use techniques such as Laurent series or residue calculus.

5. Can a function be analytic on the entire complex plane?

Yes, a function can be analytic on the entire complex plane, meaning it is holomorphic everywhere. An example of such a function is a polynomial or an entire function, which is a function that can be represented by a convergent power series on the entire complex plane.