Determing the composition of a state

PThe conversation is discussing finding the composition of a state of a system composed of two eigenvectors. The question involves determining the probability of attaining the eigenvalues of ket v, given by the coefficients a and b in the equation. The correct values for a and b are determined to be 1/2 and (3/4)1/2 multiplied by an arbitrary phase factor. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the composition of a state of a system composed of two eigenvectors and determining the probability of attaining the eigenvalues of ket v. The values for a and b are correctly determined to be 1/2 and (3/4)1/2 multiplied by an arbitrary phase factor.
Sekonda
Hey,

I have a question on determing the composition of a state of a system of composed of only two eigenvectors, the question is displayed below:

determinev.png

I initially assumed that the ket v was given by:

[tex]|v>=a|\omega_{1}>+b|\omega_{2}>[/tex]

Where 'a' and 'b' are constants which will determine the probability of either state. So we know the probability of the eigenvalues of ket v are given by the coefficients a and b in the equation:

[tex]\mid <v|\hat{\Omega}|v>\mid^{2}[/tex]

Where for the probability of attaining the eigenvalue ω(1) we have equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{4}=a^{4}[/tex]

Though I'm not sure this is correct, it implies

[tex]a=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\: ,\: b=\sqrt{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}[/tex]

I think I have made a mistake on my third equation...

Thanks for any help,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
P(ω1) = |<ω1|v>|2 , so: a = 1/2 and b will be (3/4)1/2 multiplied by an arbitary phase factor.

Right okay, this is the other way I done it but wasn't sure which way was correct... though this answer definitely makes more sense!... obviously.

Thanks cosmic dust!
SK

Related to Determing the composition of a state

What does "determining the composition of a state" mean?

Determining the composition of a state refers to the process of identifying and understanding the various elements that make up a particular state or region. This can include factors such as its physical geography, population demographics, political systems, and cultural characteristics.

Why is it important to determine the composition of a state?

Understanding the composition of a state is crucial for a variety of reasons. It can help with resource allocation, policy-making, and predicting potential challenges or opportunities. Additionally, knowing the composition of a state can aid in promoting diversity and fostering a better understanding of different communities.

What methods are used to determine the composition of a state?

The methods used to determine the composition of a state can vary, but they often involve a combination of data analysis, research, and fieldwork. This can include collecting and analyzing census data, conducting surveys and interviews, and studying historical and cultural documents.

What are some challenges in determining the composition of a state?

There can be several challenges in determining the composition of a state, such as obtaining accurate and reliable data, accounting for changes over time, and considering the complexity and diversity of different communities within the state. Additionally, political and social factors can also impact the accuracy and completeness of the information gathered.

How does determining the composition of a state impact society?

Determining the composition of a state can have a significant impact on society. It can guide decision-making and policies that affect the lives of individuals and communities. It can also promote a better understanding and appreciation of different cultures and promote social cohesion and inclusivity.