Determined to finish off my assignment

• Thread starter precondition
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the individual is trying to finish an assignment and is determined to do so. They state that they are not going to sleep until the assignment is finished and ask for help. They are clear about the definition of differentiability and state that it can be easily applied to this question. They also state that if all of the partial derivatives of the function are continuous in a neighbourhood of the point of interest then the function is differentiable.
precondition
Determined to finish off my assignment!

Firstly, it's 2:50 am here and I'm NOT going to sleep until I finish this assignment off! I have few remaining ones and I'd be glad if someone could help me out so I can go to sleep...

Please consider this question(and the one I posted below);
f:R^2-->R is defined by f(x,y)=lxyl where lxyl is absolute value of xy

(a)Show that f is differentiable at (0,0)
For this, I think using definition of 'differentiable' is almost impossible, so I'm thinking should I use the theorem which says the function is differentiable if all of partial derivatives exist, and each entry in jacobian matrix exists in a neighbourhood of the point and continuous at that point.

But... partial derivative of something inside absolute value?... also to show each entry in jacobian is continuous... do i use epsilon delta argument??

(b)Show that there is no disc B((0,0);delta) throughout which f has all of its directional derivatives
This one scares me off...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused about (b) because I think there is a theorem which states that if function f:R^m-->R^n is differentiable then directional derivatives Dvf(a) for all v a vector in R^m exists and is equal to f'(a)(v)? This seems to contradict to (a) since we are proving that it 'is' differentiable right?

What is the definition of differentiability that you have? From what I can remember, the definition of differentiability I know can be readily applied to this question.

In fact, if you were given the definitions of partial derivatives and differentiability, your first question is actually quite straight forward. By inspection (using the definition of a partial derivative), the partials wrtx and wrty evaluated at (x,y)=(0,0) are clearly zero meaning that the Jacobian is the 2 dimensional zero vector since f:R^2->R.

f(0,0) = 0 clearly. So if you're using the same definition of differentiability as the one I am using then this comes down to showing that [tex]\frac{{\left| {xy} \right|}}{{\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } }} \to 0[/tex] as (x,y) goes to (0,0). This is also straight forward.

Edit: As for part (b) I think you have got it the other way around. That is, if all of the partial derivatives of f are continuous in a neighbourhood of the point of interest then f is differentiable.

Last edited:
From Calculus 9th edition by Sala, Hille, and Etgen, page 872

"Theorem 15.2.4
If f is differentiable at x, then f has a directional derivative at x in every direction u, where us is a unit vector"

However, it appears that while |xy| is differentiable at (0,0), it is not differentiable for any (x,0) with x not 0, or (0,y) with y not 0. So the point of (b) is not directional derivatives at (0,0) but rather at (x, 0) and (0,y).

Related to Determined to finish off my assignment

1. What does it mean to be "determined to finish off my assignment"?

Determined to finish off my assignment means that you have a strong and unwavering focus and commitment towards completing a specific task or project, regardless of any obstacles or challenges that may arise.

2. How can I become more determined to finish off my assignment?

To become more determined to finish off your assignment, it is important to set clear goals and deadlines for yourself and create a plan to achieve them. Additionally, maintaining a positive attitude and staying motivated can help increase your determination.

3. What are some strategies for staying determined while working on my assignment?

Some strategies for staying determined while working on your assignment include breaking the task into smaller, more manageable chunks, rewarding yourself for progress made, and seeking support from friends, family, or a mentor.

4. How can I overcome obstacles and challenges when trying to finish off my assignment?

To overcome obstacles and challenges, it is important to stay focused on your end goal and remind yourself of your determination. Additionally, seeking help or advice from others, taking breaks when needed, and staying organized can also help overcome any challenges.

5. What are the benefits of being determined to finish off my assignment?

Being determined to finish off your assignment can lead to a sense of accomplishment, improved time management skills, and increased self-confidence. It can also help you develop a strong work ethic and prepare you for future challenges and tasks.