Determine whether the given vectors form a basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the linear independence of three vectors w1, w2, and w3 and whether they form a basis. The conversation concludes that the vectors are linearly independent based on the fact that there are no free variables, none are multiples of the others, and the number of unknowns equals the number of equations. The reduced echelon form of the matrix also confirms this by showing that the vectors are linearly independent and form a basis.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

w1 = 2 1 2
w2 = 1 -2 -3
w3 = 5 0 1

for
R3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The books says the above is not a basis, why not? There are no free variables, none of the vectors are multiples of the other, they are linearly independent and the number of unknowns equals the number of equations. That check list to me signals a basis

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think they are lineally independent?

As I already said: There are no free variables, none of the vectors are multiples of the other

This is what I get in Reduced Ech form

1 -2 -3
0 5 -4
0 0 -6

Actually is:
[tex]w_3=2w_1+w_2[/tex]

In echelon form I get
[itex]\left( \begin{matrix}
1 & -2 & -3 \\
0 & 5 & 8 \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{matrix} \right)[/itex]

Also be careful with difference between echelon form and reduced echelon form. The matrix you wrote (and the one above) is in echelon form, as every pivot has only zeros below it. Whereas in reduced echelon form the piviot is the only non zero entry in the column i.e. the above matrix becomes:

[itex]\left( \begin{matrix}
1 & 0 & \frac{1}{5} \\
0 & 1 & \frac{8}{5} \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{matrix} \right)[/itex]

Ok, I understand now.

Also thanks for the tip about echelon form and reduced echelon form, I thought they were the same.

Related to Determine whether the given vectors form a basis

1. What is a basis?

A basis is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any other vector in a given vector space. It is similar to the idea of a foundation for a building, as it provides a starting point for all other vectors in the space.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a basis?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a basis, you need to check two things: linear independence and span. Linear independence means that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others. Span refers to the idea that the vectors in the set can be used to create any other vector in the vector space.

3. What happens if a set of vectors is not a basis?

If a set of vectors is not a basis, it means that they are either linearly dependent or do not span the entire vector space. In this case, they cannot be used to represent all other vectors in the space.

4. Can a set of more than 3 vectors form a basis?

Yes, a set of more than 3 vectors can form a basis as long as they meet the criteria of linear independence and span. The number of vectors needed to form a basis depends on the dimension of the vector space.

5. Is there a shortcut to determine if a set of vectors forms a basis?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the "row-reduction method" which involves putting the vectors into a matrix and performing row operations to see if the matrix can be reduced to the identity matrix. If it can, then the vectors form a basis.