Determine units of variables in formula

In summary: Option One, m/s^2 and m/s^3 respectively.v = (m/s^2)(s^2) + (m/s^3)(s^3)Option Two, m/s^4 and m/s^5 respectively.v = (m/s^4)(s^2) + (m/s^5)(s^3)Option Three, s^3/m and s^4/m, respectively.v = (s^3/m)(s^2) + (s^4/m)(s^3)Option Four, m*s^2 and m*s
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

During a short interval of time, the velocity v in m/s of an automobile is given by v=at^2 + bt^3 where the time is t in seconds. The units of a and b are...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, here's the thing. A friend gave me some old physics tests, I'm taking it in the fall and familiarizing. I don't know how to do it mathematically. I tried just "plugging in" the units to see if it works out (it's multiple choice here) but I want a way to do it mathematically.

Someone, just give me a nudge in the right direction so I can attempt here if you'd be so kind. I don't want the answer, or even too big of a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The units on both sides of the equation must match after all mathematical operations are completed.

v(m/s)= a(?) t^2(m^2/s^2)+ b(?)t^3(m^3/t^3)
The "(?)" are the unknown units. As SteamKing said the units on both sides of the equation must be the same.

Thanks.

How does t^2 and t^3 affect the units?

For example, (1 m/s)t^2 does what to m/s? Adds exponends to s, making m/s^3? Or add exponents to both, making m^3/s^3, or neither?

Could someone give me more info? I worked out all of the choices and I never get the same units. HallsofIvy, what are you doing when you say v(m/s)= a(?) t^2(m^2/s^2)+ b(?)t^3(m^3/t^3) ? Why are those units after t^2 and t^3? Where did they come from?

v = at^2 + bt^3

Option one, m/s^2 and m/s^3 respectively.

v = (m/s^2)(s^2) + (m/s^3)(s^3)

v = (ms^2/s^2 ) + (ms^3/s^3)

v = m + m

No.

Option Two, m/s^4 and m/s^5 respectively.

v = (m/s^4)(s^2) + (m/s^5)(s^3)
v = (ms^2/s^4) + (ms^3/s^5)
v = m/s^2 + m/s^2

No.

Option Three, s^3/m and s^4/m, respectively.

v = (s^3/m)(s^2) + (s^4/m)(s^3)
v = s^5/m + s^7/m

Hell no.

Option Four, m*s^2 and m*s^4, respectively.

v = (m*s^2)(s^2) + (m*s^4)(s^4)
v = ms^2s^4 + ms^3s^7

Bigger Hell no.

I am completely and utterly lost.

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
Could someone give me more info? I worked out all of the choices and I never get the same units.
But there are infinitely many choices! Random guessing is no way to solve the problem.

v = at^2 + bt^3

v units are m/s. So units of a*t^2 must be m/s as well. And we know t has units of s:

a*s^2 = m/s​

Solve for a.

It's a multiple choice problem..

at^2 and I want m/s, my logic says that:

m/s = a(s^2)

(1/s^2)(m/s) = a
m/s^3 = a

Yet this is not an option as the a unit.

1MileCrash said:
Ah, okay.

m/s = a(s^2)

(1/s^2)(m/s) = a
m/s^3 = a

Then the choices are all wrong, since m/s3 are the correct units for a.

1MileCrash said:

m/s = a(s^2)

(1/s^2)(m/s) = a
m/s^3 = a

Let's assume for a moment that m/s3 is an option. You have m/s3 * s2 = m/s, the correct units for velocity. Why do you think your answer is not an option?

Again, because it is a multiple choice problem. I'm not saying that the unit is physically impossible, meaningless, or anything else like that. It's just not an option on the test paper out of a, b, c, and d.

That's why I tested the four "options" above.

1MileCrash said:
Again, because it is a multiple choice problem. I'm not saying that the unit is physically impossible, meaningless, or anything else like that. It's just not an option on the test paper out of a, b, c, and d.

That's why I tested the four "options" above.

As a sceptical reader, I would ask that you try to provide a copy of the original question and optional answers.
Not a transcription, but a scan.

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

During a short interval of time, the velocity v in m/s of an automobile is given by v=at^2 + bt^3 where the time is t in seconds. The units of a and b are...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, here's the thing. A friend gave me some old physics tests, I'm taking it in the fall and familiarizing. I don't know how to do it mathematically. I tried just "plugging in" the units to see if it works out (it's multiple choice here) but I want a way to do it mathematically.

Someone, just give me a nudge in the right direction so I can attempt here if you'd be so kind. I don't want the answer, or even too big of a hint.

First, let's just look at a

v = at2

dimensionally [in units] that is

[m/s] = [a] x [s2]

"divide" both sides my s2 we get [a] = [m/s3]

doing a similar operation for b means that dimensionally

= [m/s4]

Related to Determine units of variables in formula

What does it mean to "determine units of variables in formula"?

Determining units of variables in a formula means identifying the type of measurement or quantity that each variable represents. This is important in scientific calculations and experiments because it ensures that the units in the formula are consistent and accurate.

Why is it important to determine units of variables in a formula?

It is important to determine units of variables in a formula because it helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of the results. Using inconsistent units in a formula can lead to incorrect calculations and potentially misleading conclusions.

How do you determine the units of variables in a formula?

To determine the units of variables in a formula, you must first identify what each variable represents. Then, you can use conversion factors or dimensional analysis to convert the units to the desired measurement system. It is also important to check the units of the final result to make sure they are appropriate for the given problem.

What are some common units used in scientific formulas?

Some common units used in scientific formulas include meters (m) for length, seconds (s) for time, kilograms (kg) for mass, liters (L) for volume, and moles (mol) for amount of substance. However, the units used can vary depending on the specific formula and the type of measurement being used.

What are some tips for determining units of variables in a formula?

Some tips for determining units of variables in a formula include carefully reading the problem and identifying what each variable represents, using dimensional analysis to convert units when necessary, and double-checking the final units to ensure they are appropriate for the given problem. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the different units commonly used in science and how they relate to each other.