Finding the units in an algebraic equation for velocity

In summary, the units of a and b in the given equation are m/s^2 and m/s^3, respectively. This is determined by considering the units of time (t) and velocity (v) and choosing values for a and b that result in the units of m/s for the entire equation.
Kennedy

Homework Statement

During a short interval of time the speed v in m/s of an automobile is given by v = at^3 + bt^4 , where the time t is in seconds. The units of a and b are respectively:
(a) m⋅s^2 ; m⋅s^4 (b) s^3/m; s^4/m (c) m/s^2 ; m/s^3 (d) m/s^3 ; m/s^4 (e) m/s^4 ; m/s^5

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not a single clue, and I'm assuming that there is a trick to this that I'm not getting. I know that the velocity is measured in m/s, but I don't understand how finding the units of a and b is even possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the relationship between the units of terms in an equation where you are summing the terms? Can you add apples to oranges? :smile:

gneill said:
What do you know about the relationship between the units of terms in an equation where you are summing the terms? Can you add apples to oranges? :smile:
Nope, I know that you can only add apples to apples, or oranges to oranges, which means that both a and b need to be measured with the same units. Since this is an equation for velocity, I would assume that the units of the right hand side would also need to be m/s.

Kennedy said:
Nope, I know that you can only add apples to apples, or oranges to oranges, which means that both a and b need to be measured with the same units.
Think again. The terms also contain powers of t. What are the units associated with t?
Since this is an equation for velocity, I would assume that the units of the right hand side would also need to be m/s.
Right. So you need to choose the units of a and b so that their terms (including their t's) both work out to m/s.

gneill said:
Think again. The terms also contain powers of t. What are the units associated with t?

Right. So you need to choose the units of a and b so that their terms (including their t's) both work out to m/s.
So, I'm looking for units of a and b for which all of the s's in the numerator cancel, and there is only one s left in the denominator, and one m in the numerator?

Kennedy said:
So, I'm looking for units of a and b for which all of the s's in the numerator cancel, and there is only one s left in the denominator, and one m in the numerator?
Sounds like a plan!

gneill said:
Sounds like a plan!
Thank you!

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time.

2. How do you find the units for velocity in an algebraic equation?

To find the units for velocity, you need to look at the units for distance and time in the equation. Distance is usually measured in meters (m) and time is measured in seconds (s). Therefore, the units for velocity would be meters per second (m/s).

3. Can you give an example of finding the units for velocity?

Sure, let's say we have an equation v = 10t, where t is measured in seconds. The units for velocity would be meters per second (m/s) because the units for time are in seconds (s).

4. What happens if the units for distance and time are not consistent in the equation?

If the units for distance and time are not consistent, you will not be able to find the units for velocity. For example, if distance is measured in kilometers (km) and time is measured in minutes (min), the units for velocity would be kilometers per minute (km/min).

5. Why is it important to find the units for velocity in an algebraic equation?

Finding the units for velocity is important because it helps us understand the rate at which an object is moving. It also allows us to compare velocities of different objects and perform calculations accurately.