Determine type of particle emitted from decay?

In summary, a Phosphorous 34 particle decays emitting an unknown particle. An experiment is done to find the charge to mass ratio of the particle, which is found to be 1.7647 x 10^11 C/kg. This is equivalent to an electron, suggesting that the emitted particle is an electron.
bob dobilina

Homework Statement

A Phosphorous 34 decays and emits a particle. A JJ Thomson experiment is done to find out the charge to mass ratio of this particle. The particle moves undeflected through mutually perpendicular magnetic and electric fields of 2.00 x 10-3 T and 1.08 x 104 N/C, respectively. When the electric field is turned off, the particle deflects to a radius of 1.53x10-2m. Determine the type of particle emitted.

Homework Equations

Fe = electric Force
Fm = Magnetic Force
Fc= centripetal Force
B=Magnetic Field
r=radius of curvature
m=mass
v=velocity
E=Electric Field
q=charge of particle

Fe= qE
Fm=qvB
Fc=mv2/r

When the electric field is turned off we know that Fm=Fc
Because the particle is undeflected, we know that Fe=Fm

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the v of this particle, we can manipulate the formual of Fe=Fm into:
E=vB
v=(E/B)

To find the mass of the particle we can manipulate the formual of Fm=Fc into:
m= (Fc x r)/v2

So, i figured out the velocity and mass of the particle, and now I am trying to determine the type of particle emitted. Am i able to do this using mass only? Or should I try and find the charge of the particle, and if so how?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have no info to help you find the charge. So you are restricted to the type of particle (pion, muon, Kaon, electron/positron), just like the exercise text puts it.

BvU said:
You have no info to help you find the charge. So you are restricted to the type of particle (pion, muon, Kaon, electron/positron), just like the exercise text puts it.
Would i be able to manipulate Fm=Fc to find q (the charge).
qvB=mv2/r
q=(mv)/(rB)
?

If you have the direction of ##\vec B##, ##\vec v## and know which way it deflects, yes. But you don't.

BvU said:
If you have the direction of ##\vec B##, ##\vec v## and know which way it deflects, yes. But you don't.

Alright. I figure the charge to mass ratio should be:
Fm=Fc
qvB = (mv2)/r
(q/m)=v/(Br)
When i crunch the numbers I get an answer of 1.7647 x 10 11
Same as an electron..what do you think of this?

Crunching numbers gives a number. But you need a mass. In kilograms, preferably (not in stones, lbs or that kind of stuff).

Pretty heavy electrons ! perhaps ##10^{-11}## (if the 'number' is in kilograms) ?

:wink:

But I think you are doing fine. Click 34P in this table to see the decay mode...[edit] Oops I forgot, ##m_e = 9.10938291 × 10^{-31}## kilograms ??

[edit] Oops2 I remember the value of e/m in C/kg is the same as your number, that's a lot better !

BvU said:
Crunching numbers gives a number. But you need a mass. In kilograms, preferably (not in stones, lbs or that kind of stuff).

Pretty heavy electrons ! perhaps ##10^{-11}## (if the 'number' is in kilograms) ?

:wink:

But I think you are doing fine. Click 34P in this table to see the decay mode...[edit] Oops I forgot, ##m_e = 9.10938291 × 10^{-31}## kilograms ??

[edit] Oops2 I remember the value of e/m in C/kg is the same as your number, that's a lot better !
Sorry I should have included the units in my ratio. Awesome. Thank you for the help.

Related to Determine type of particle emitted from decay?

1. What is a particle decay?

Particle decay is the spontaneous transformation of a subatomic particle into one or more different particles. This process occurs in unstable particles, also known as radioactive particles, as they try to reach a more stable state.

2. How is the type of particle emitted from decay determined?

The type of particle emitted from decay is determined by analyzing the characteristics of the original particle and the resulting particles. This includes the mass, charge, and energy of the particles, as well as any other observable properties.

3. What are the different types of particles emitted from decay?

The different types of particles emitted from decay include alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, and neutrinos. Each type has a unique mass, charge, and energy, which allows scientists to identify and differentiate them.

4. How do scientists measure the energy of particles emitted from decay?

Scientists use specialized instruments, such as particle detectors, to measure the energy of particles emitted from decay. These detectors can detect and record the energy of each particle, allowing scientists to analyze and determine the type of particle emitted.

5. Why is it important to determine the type of particle emitted from decay?

Determining the type of particle emitted from decay is important because it provides insights into the properties and behavior of subatomic particles. This information is crucial in understanding the fundamental workings of the universe and has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy, medicine, and environmental science.