Determine the vectors of components

In summary, the conversation discusses three bases for the polynomial vector space $\mathbb{R}[x]$ of degree $\leq 3$ and how to determine the vectors of components in $\mathbb{R}^4$ for each basis. The use of transformation matrices is also mentioned and a hint is requested for solving the problem. One person notes that the vectors of components for $B_1$ will be the $i$-th column of the identity matrix, while for $B_3$ it will be the $i$-th column of $B_1$. The reason for this is questioned.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

For the polynomial vector space $\mathbb{R}[x]$ of degree $\leq 3$ we have the following three bases:
$$B_1 = \{1 - X^2 + X^3, X - X^2, 1 - X + X^2, 1 - X\} , \\
B_2 = \{1 - X^3, 1 - X^2, 1 - X, 1 + X^2 - X^3\}, \\
B_3 = \{1, X, X^2, X^3\}$$

How can we determine the following vectors of components $\mathbb{R}^4$ ?

$\Theta_{B_1}(b)$ for all $b \in B_1$

and

$\Theta_{B_3}(b)$ for all $b \in B_1$

Could you give me hint? (Wondering)

Do we use the transformation matrix? If yes, how? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen the following notes :

$\Theta_{B_1}(b\in B_1)=i$-th comlumn of idenity, since it shown always at itself, and $\Theta_{B_3}(b\in B_1)=i$-th column of $B_1$. Why does this hold? (Wondering)

Related to Determine the vectors of components

1. What are vectors in terms of components?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They can be represented as a combination of components, which are the parts of the vector in different directions.

2. How do you determine the components of a vector?

To determine the components of a vector, you need to know its magnitude and direction. You can then use trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.

3. What is the importance of determining vector components?

Determining vector components is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to break down complex vectors into smaller, more manageable parts, making it easier to analyze and solve problems involving vectors.

4. Are vector components always perpendicular?

No, vector components are not always perpendicular. They can be perpendicular if the vector is at a right angle to the coordinate axes, but in other cases, the components can have any angle between them.

5. Can you determine the components of a vector in any coordinate system?

Yes, you can determine the components of a vector in any coordinate system. However, the calculations may be different depending on the coordinate system used. The most common coordinate systems are Cartesian (x, y), cylindrical (r, θ, z), and spherical (r, θ, φ).