Determine the value of capacitor for an A.C Series Circuit?

In summary: If you think about it, the magnitude of the voltage supply is independent of the phase; no matter what the voltage is it will not effect the phase shift that the circuit causes. Furthermore, the 'reference' phase of the voltage supply (the 30°) will also not effect the phase introduced by the circuit. After all, a sinewave is the same a cosinewave simply shifted in time. The same goes for a sinewave shifted by 30°; it's just another sinewave, and any phase shift introduced between the current and voltage by the circuit is independent of the initial phase of the voltage supply. So you can safely ignore both the voltage magnitude AND the initial phase of the supply,
alex282
Determine the value of capacitor to make sure that the current and voltage are in phase.

The diagram is a simple series circuit with;

Voltage Source = 30cos(377t+30°)v
then a resistor R = 10 Ω
then an inductor = 5mH
then capacitor C = ?

I'm not sure how to start this as the EMF has confused me, I think it needs to be changed to polar or rectangular form. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
V = IZ
w=377

The formula for Z (impedance) of inductor is ZL = jwL

ZL = j1.89
ZR = 10
ZC = 1/jwC

so 30cos(377t+30°)v = I(10 + j1.89 + 1/j377C)

Does anyone understand the EMF on the LHS or know how I would find the current I?

The EMF is that of a cosine with amplitude 30V, an angular frequency of 377 radians per second, and a phase shift of 30°. The important bit is the angular frequency, as this will set the impedances of the capacitor and inductor (according to their values).

Suppose you were given all three component values, R, L, and C. How would you determine the angle of the current given some EMF E at frequency ω?

gneill said:
The EMF is that of a cosine with amplitude 30V, an angular frequency of 377 radians per second, and a phase shift of 30°. The important bit is the angular frequency, as this will set the impedances of the capacitor and inductor (according to their values).

Suppose you were given all three component values, R, L, and C. How would you determine the angle of the current given some EMF E at frequency ω?

I've got this far (using j instead of i to avoid confusion with current)

V=IZ
V=I(10 + j1.89 + 1/j377C)

Where j1.89 is the inductors impedance

I don't know where to go from there because I can't solve for the current unless I know the value of capacitance but the question asks to determine the value of capacitance for where the current and voltage are in phase

alex282 said:
I've got this far (using j instead of i to avoid confusion with current)

V=IZ
V=I(10 + j1.89 + 1/j377C)

Where j1.89 is the inductors impedance

I don't know where to go from there because I can't solve for the current unless I know the value of capacitance but the question asks to determine the value of capacitance for where the current and voltage are in phase

Good. You can solve for the current symbolically. It will have real and imaginary parts. What condition must hold if the relative angle of the current is to be zero?

So I should try to substitute a value in for the capacitance that will give me a phase angle of 0? Would I be right in converting 30cos(377t+30) into polar as (30, 30) or should I be adding something like 90 degrees to the phase angle to convert cos to sin before I put it in polar?

alex282 said:
So I should try to substitute a value in for the capacitance that will give me a phase angle of 0? Would I be right in converting 30cos(377t+30) into polar as (30, 30) or should I be adding something like 90 degrees to the phase angle to convert cos to sin before I put it in polar?

If you think about it, the magnitude of the voltage supply is independent of the phase; no matter what the voltage is it will not effect the phase shift that the circuit causes. Furthermore, the 'reference' phase of the voltage supply (the 30°) will also not effect the phase introduced by the circuit. After all, a sinewave is the same a cosinewave simply shifted in time. The same goes for a sinewave shifted by 30°; it's just another sinewave, and any phase shift introduced between the current and voltage by the circuit is independent of the initial phase of the voltage supply. So you can safely ignore both the voltage magnitude AND the initial phase of the supply, since you're only interested in the phase shift between the current and the voltage as introduced by the network it's connected to. Only the frequency of the supply matters here. You can simply represent the voltage symbolically as V.

Take your expression V=I(10 + j1.89 + 1/j377C). In order for there to be no phase difference between the voltage and current, what can you say about the components of the impedance? In other words, what would make the angle of the impedance zero?

Related to Determine the value of capacitor for an A.C Series Circuit?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work in an A.C series circuit?

In an A.C series circuit, a capacitor blocks the flow of direct current (DC) while allowing alternating current (AC) to pass through. It stores electrical energy during the positive half-cycle of the AC signal and releases it during the negative half-cycle.

3. Why is it important to determine the value of a capacitor in an A.C series circuit?

The value of a capacitor is crucial in an A.C series circuit because it affects the overall impedance of the circuit. A higher capacitance value will result in a lower impedance, and vice versa. This can significantly impact the behavior and efficiency of the circuit.

4. How do you calculate the value of a capacitor in an A.C series circuit?

The value of a capacitor in an A.C series circuit can be determined using the formula: XC = 1/(2πfC), where XC is the capacitive reactance, f is the frequency of the AC signal, and C is the capacitance value in Farads (F).

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a capacitor for an A.C series circuit?

When choosing a capacitor for an A.C series circuit, factors such as voltage rating, tolerance, and temperature coefficient should be taken into consideration. Additionally, the type and size of the capacitor should also be chosen based on the specific needs and requirements of the circuit.