RLC Series Circuit: Understanding Inductor Behavior

In summary: However, the current after a long time is max and the voltage is also max. After t → ∞, what does each of the elements look like?The inductor would act as a short circuit, and the capacitor would act as an open circuit.
jcoona

Homework Statement

I am not sure how an Inductor behaves in an RLC Series Circuit

Homework Equations

fig1-1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that after a long time, that the circuit above, the voltage in the capacitor is max. Generally, I also know that the current through an inductor after a long time is max... but after a long time, the current through the capacitor is 0. Since the two are in series, I don't know if to go with inductor current being max or 0... [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
As [itex]t \to \infty[/itex], what does each of the elements look like?

Well, the inductor would act as a short circuit, and the capacitor would act as an open circuit

So i think the entire circuit would just open and as t→∞ the current is 0...

Correct. The inductor accepts the maximum current for the given branch of the circuit as t goes to infinity. In this case, that max is 0, because the capacitor acts as a short circuit, so there can be no current in that branch.

This is of course, assuming a DC input voltage.

Yup, it's a DC voltage source

Ok that makes sense! I was thinking that would work, but i was not sure... thank you so much!

jcoona said:
Yup, it's a DC voltage source

Ok that makes sense! I was thinking that would work, but i was not sure... thank you so much!

Was this really your question (what happens at t approaching infinity) ? Are you not required to find the timely behaviour of the current after applying the voltage?

Yes, usually they are interested in the transient analysis of that type of circuit...generally a 2nd order differiantial equation.
Or you could use S domain depending where you are in your studies.

Steady state just seems to easy in this case.

From their posts, OP is in an introductory circuits course. Some programs don't do transient analysis in the first semester course. Given that either no element values are given (or OP has withheld them), it seems this is more of a conceptual question.

axmls said:
From their posts, OP is in an introductory circuits course. Some programs don't do transient analysis in the first semester course. Given that either no element values are given (or OP has withheld them), it seems this is more of a conceptual question.

Either way, OP now knows that transient analysis is a much bigger fish to fry.

In the real world, the biggest transient current is the use of electric motors. Massive in rush currents especially on high HP motors.
Steady state is no problem, but start up is much more complicated. Breaker settings down the line of the substations must be carefully selected in industry.
That being said, VFD drives (Variable frequency drives) now are the remedy for taming the large inrush current. Although VFD's have their own set of complications...expensive, make lots of heat and I hear of them breaking in 10 years or less.

LvW said:
Was this really your question (what happens at t approaching infinity) ? Are you not required to find the timely behaviour of the current after applying the voltage?

I did ask this question because the original task description (post#1) contains the current i=i(t) .

Likes psparky

Related to RLC Series Circuit: Understanding Inductor Behavior

1. What is an RLC series circuit?

An RLC series circuit is an electrical circuit that contains three passive components: a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This means that the components are connected one after the other in a single loop. The behavior of the circuit is determined by the values of these components and the frequency of the input signal.

2. Why is understanding inductor behavior important in RLC series circuits?

Understanding inductor behavior is important in RLC series circuits because inductors have a unique property known as inductance, which causes them to oppose changes in current. This can affect the overall behavior of the circuit and can be used for various applications such as filtering, tuning, and energy storage.

3. How does an inductor behave in an RLC series circuit?

In an RLC series circuit, the inductor behaves as a temporary energy storage device. When an alternating current (AC) is passed through the circuit, the inductor stores energy in its magnetic field during the time when the current is increasing. As the current decreases, the inductor releases this stored energy, which can affect the overall behavior of the circuit.

4. What is the role of inductance in an RLC series circuit?

Inductance is the property of an inductor that determines the amount of energy that can be stored in its magnetic field. In an RLC series circuit, the inductor's inductance affects the amount of energy stored and released, which in turn affects the current and voltage in the circuit. Inductance also determines the frequency at which the inductor resonates with the capacitor, leading to resonance in the circuit.

5. How can the behavior of an inductor in an RLC series circuit be controlled?

The behavior of an inductor in an RLC series circuit can be controlled by changing its inductance or the frequency of the input signal. Inductance can be changed by altering the properties of the inductor, such as the number of turns in the coil or the material used. The frequency can be changed by adjusting the values of the capacitor and resistor in the circuit. These changes can affect the overall behavior of the circuit and can be used for different purposes.