Determine the sum of the given series:

• Thread starter ybhathena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a geometric series and the use of a formula for its sum. The solutions manual multiplies the numerator and denominator by 4 and then uses the formula, leading to a final answer of 16. The conversation also addresses the starting index of the series and alternative ways to solve the problem.
ybhathena

Homework Statement

Sum starting from n=1 to infinity for the expression, (3/4^(n-2))

What the solutions manual has done is multiply the numerator and the denominator by 4.

12/(4^(n-1))

I don't know what they have done from here on:

12 / (1 - 1/4)

= 16

Can someone explain the solution? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a geometric series.

I'm having trouble seeing how to use the fact that it is a geometric series in the problem. Could you explain further?

Do you have a formula for the sum of a geometric series?

I know for a geometric series the formula is Sn = (a(1-r^n)) / 1-r and for an infinite geometric series S = a/1-r

OK then ... does ##\frac{12}{1-\frac{1}{4}}## look like one of those forms?

Well the rate is 4, and the first value, a, is 1/4. Also 12 fits no where into any of these formulas so 12/(1-1/4) doesn't look like either of the two formulas for geometric series.

Oh wait they are treating the entire expression as a geometric series not just the denominator. Is that it? Give me a second to see then.

Ok I get it now I am finally getting 16 as an answer. My question is now why don't they divide 16 by 4 to get the original value to which the series converges to. (because in the beginning they multiplied the entire expression by 4?)

They multiplied both the numerator and denominator of the term inside the sum by 4, which is the same as multiplying the whole term inside the sum by 4/4=1. Multiplying by 1 doesn't change anything, so there is nothing to "undo". It goes $$\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty\frac{3}{4^{n-2}}=\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty1\cdot\frac{3}{4^{n-2}}=\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty\frac{4}{4}\cdot\frac{3}{4^{n-2}}=\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty\frac{12}{4^{n-1}}=\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty12\cdot\frac{1}{4^{n-1}}=\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty12\cdot(\frac{1}{4})^{n-1}$$ with the formula for the geometric series applied to the RHS.
Everything's equal, so ...

Likes 1 person
Oh yes that is true the constant that is being multiplied is 1 not 4, so it won't change anything. Thank you for your help throughout this process; it is greatly appreciated!

[tex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{3}{4^{n-2}}= \sum_1^{\infty} \frac{3}{16}\frac{1}{4^n}= \frac{3}{16}\sum_1^\infty \frac{1}{4^n}[/tex]

BUT the formula for the sum of a geometric series: [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a^n= \frac{1}{1- a}[/tex] starts with n= 0, not n= 1. There are two ways to handle that.
1) factor a "1/4" out of the series:
[tex]\frac{3}{64}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{4^{n-1}}= \frac{3}{64}\sum_{i= 0}^\infty \frac{1}{4^i}[/tex] where i= n-1.

2) Do the entire geometric series from 0 to infinity, then subtract off the n= 0 term:
[tex]\frac{3}{4}\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{4^n}- \frac{3}{4}[/tex]
since when n= 0, [tex]\frac{1}{4^n}= 1[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Some texts give ##\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty ar^{n-1}=\frac{a}{1-r}## as (one of) the formula(s) for the geometric series. Given the answer from the solutions manual, I'm guessing the topic creator is using one of those texts.

Related to Determine the sum of the given series:

What is the purpose of determining the sum of a series?

The purpose of determining the sum of a series is to find the total value of all the terms in the series. This can help in solving mathematical problems or understanding the behavior of a sequence of numbers.

What are the steps involved in determining the sum of a series?

The steps involved in determining the sum of a series include identifying the pattern of the series, setting up the general formula for the series, finding the value of the first and last term, and then plugging in the values into the formula to calculate the sum.

What are some common types of series that are used to determine the sum?

Some common types of series that are used to determine the sum include arithmetic series, geometric series, and harmonic series. Each of these series has a specific formula for calculating the sum.

What are some techniques for determining the sum of a series?

Some techniques for determining the sum of a series include using the formula for the specific type of series, using properties of series (such as telescoping or rearranging terms), and using mathematical operations (such as addition, subtraction, or multiplication) to simplify the series.

Why is it important to double-check the calculated sum of a series?

It is important to double-check the calculated sum of a series to ensure accuracy and to catch any potential mistakes in the calculations. This can help to avoid errors in further calculations or in drawing conclusions based on the sum of the series.