Determine the period and frequency of SHM

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a differential equation for the simple harmonic motion of a weight suspended from a spring. The initial assumptions and forces acting on the weight are considered in order to determine the equation and solve for the period and frequency of the motion. The differential equation is mentioned to be my'' + ky = 0, and the relevant forces and acceleration are discussed.
zaboda42
A 1 lb weight is suspended from a spring. Let y give the deflection (in inches) of the weight from its static deflection position, where “up” is the positive direction for y. If the static deflection is 24 in, find a differential equation for y. Solve your equation and determine the period and frequency of the simple harmonic motion of the weight if it is set in motion.

I'm having a hard time starting, I don't know how to set up the differential equation. I assume that an initial position will be y(24) = 1, but I can't get past the initial assumptions.

Anything to help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean y(0)=24.
What are the forces on the weight when the deflection is y? What acceleration will result? How do you express the acceleration in terms of y and t?

I know that a potential differential equation may be my'' + ky = 0. Does this get me anywhere?

Any thoughts?

Let the modulus of the spring be k. When the deflection is y, what is the upward force exerted by the spring? (Be careful with signs.) What other forces act on the weight? What is the net force? How does that relate to the acceleration of y?

Related to Determine the period and frequency of SHM

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion and refers to the back and forth oscillatory motion of an object around an equilibrium point.

2. How is the period of SHM determined?

The period of SHM is determined by the time it takes for one complete cycle, or one full back and forth oscillation, to occur. It can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

3. What is the relationship between period and frequency in SHM?

The period and frequency of SHM are inversely proportional. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time, and it can be calculated using the equation f = 1/T.

4. How do we measure the period and frequency of SHM in an experiment?

In an experiment, the period and frequency of SHM can be measured by tracking the motion of the object and recording the time it takes for one complete cycle. This can be done using a stopwatch or a data collection system. The frequency can then be calculated by taking the inverse of the period.

5. How does the amplitude of SHM affect the period and frequency?

The amplitude of SHM, which is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point, does not affect the period or frequency. This means that no matter how large or small the amplitude is, the period and frequency will remain the same as long as the mass and spring constant remain constant.