Determine the magnitudes and directions of the currents in each R's.

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnitudes and directions of currents in resistors with given values and batteries with internal resistance. The equations for this case are provided, and it is mentioned that the internal resistance of the batteries should not be added to R2 as it is not in series with either battery. The calculations for I1, I2, and I3 are given, but there is some discrepancy with the answer provided by Mastering Physics. A request is made for someone to check the calculations.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitudes and directions of the currents in each resistor shown in the figure. The batteries have emfs of ##\varepsilon_1 = 9.1## V and ##\varepsilon_2 = 11.6## V and the resistors have values of ##R_1 = 15 \Omega## , ##R_2 = 33 \Omega## , and ##R_3 = 30 \Omega## .

Assume each battery has internal resistance ##1.3 \Omega##.

Homework Equations

EMF equation: ##\varepsilon = IR##

The Attempt at a Solution

The equations for this case are:

##\varepsilon_1 = I_1(R_1 + r) + I_2(R_2 + r)##
##\varepsilon_2 = I_3(R_3 + r) + I_2(R_2 + r)##

where ##r## is the internal resistance. I know that by junction rule, ##I_2 = I_1 + I_3##

I found that ##I_1 \approx 0.092## and ##I_3 \approx 0.13##. For ##I_2##, the value is approximately 0.22 in terms of two significant figures, but Mastering Physics marked it incorrect, indicating that I need to check my calculations. I don't know what I did wrong. 0.23 and 0.21 are also incorrect.

Attachments

• 26n34.jpg
    26n34.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 962
Physics news on Phys.org
The thing here is that I still get the same calculations over and over again, but Mastering Physics marked it wrong for no reason. Will anyone check the calculation? Thank you!

Why would you add the internal resistance of the battery to R2? R2 is not in series with either battery. Otherwise, your equations look okay. Fix the battery resistance issue and I think you'll be okay.

Related to Determine the magnitudes and directions of the currents in each R's.

What is the purpose of determining the magnitudes and directions of the currents in each R's?

Determining the magnitudes and directions of the currents in each R's is important in understanding the flow of electrical current through a circuit. This information can be used to calculate voltage drops, power dissipation, and other important parameters in circuit analysis.

How is the magnitude of a current in a resistor determined?

The magnitude of a current in a resistor can be determined by using Ohm's Law, which states that the current is equal to the voltage across the resistor divided by its resistance. In other words, I = V/R.

What is the direction of current flow in a circuit?

In a closed circuit, current flows from the positive terminal of the voltage source to the negative terminal. This is known as conventional current and is the direction that is typically shown in circuit diagrams.

How are the directions of currents in multiple resistors determined?

The direction of current in each resistor can be determined by using Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. This allows us to determine the direction of current flow in each resistor based on the voltage source and the resistance values.

What is the significance of knowing the currents in each R's in a circuit?

Knowing the currents in each R's allows us to analyze the behavior of a circuit and make predictions about its performance. This information can also help us identify any potential issues or inefficiencies in the circuit design.