What is the Internal Resistance of the Battery in this Circuit?

• Thread starter Gbox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the two voltmeters have large resistance and the 3 ampere meter has a resistance of ##0.5\Omega##. ##V_1## shows twice as much voltage as ##V_2##, while ##A_1## shows a reading of ##0.4A## and ##A_2=A_3=0A##. In order to find the value of ##R_2## and the internal resistance of the battery, it is not necessary to use Thevenin or Norton's equivalent circuits. By applying Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL), we can find the values of interest. By setting up equations using these laws
Gbox

Homework Statement

The two voltmeters have very large resistance, the 3 ampere meter have resistance of ##0.5\Omega## each one.
##V_1## show twice as much voltage as ##V_2##, ##A_1## shows ##0.4A## and ##A_2=A_3=0A##

a. Find ##R_2##
b. Find the internal resistance of the battery

6XJIiIn.jpg

Homework Equations

KVL and KCL
Thevenin and Norton
Pi-T

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I did not saw a reason to use Thevenin or Norton, because ##A_2=A_3=0A## I can look at the circuit like this:

JD98F0M.jpg

And to start with KVL and KCL:

1) ##0.4=I_2+I_3##
2) ##1.6-0.4r-R_1*I_2-5I_2-R_2*I_2=0##
3) ##1.6-0.4r-2I_3-2.5I_3-R_3*I_3=0##
4) ##2V_2=V1\rightarrow 1.6-0.4r=5I_3##
5) ##A_2=0A## so there is also not voltage so ##R_1*I_2+2*I_3=0##
6)##A_3=0A## so there is also not voltage so ##R_2*I_2+R_3*I_3=0##

But I am left with unknowns

Physics news on Phys.org
Ω Did you use the 2.5 Ω and the 5 Ω ? if there is no current in A2 and A3, what does that say about the currents through those two knowns ?

I used ##2.5 \Omega## in equation 3 and ##5 \Omega## in equation 2.

If there is no current, there is no voltage, I used this in equations 5 and 6

You can do some more sleuthing before you start writing loop equations. As you have deduced, the zero amp readings of the ammeters A2 and A3 tell you that the potentials at the corresponding junctions of the resistor branches must be the same. That is, the two resistor branches split the potential difference across the branch in the same way in both branches. That should tell you something about the relationship between corresponding resistors in each branch (think ratios and scaling).

Further, the fact that the potential across the middle resistors is half that of V1 tells you something else about the resistors in each branch. Look at what V1 is measuring.

Gbox said:
If there is no current, there is no voltage, I used this in equations 5 and 6
Gbox said:
5) A2=0AA_2=0A so there is also not voltage so R1∗I2+2∗I3=0R_1*I_2+2*I_3=0
6)A3=0AA_3=0A so there is also not voltage so R2∗I2+R3∗I3=0R_2*I_2+R_3*I_3=0
You have sign errors in those.

It appears that you're going about this in an overly complicated fashion.

If no current passes through A2 or A3, then how do the voltage drops across the 5Ω and 2.5Ω resistors compare?

You should be able to express the current through the 2.5Ω resistor (I3) in terms of V2 .

gneill said:
You can do some more sleuthing before you start writing loop equations. As you have deduced, the zero amp readings of the ammeters A2 and A3 tell you that the potentials at the corresponding junctions of the resistor branches must be the same. That is, the two resistor branches split the potential difference across the branch in the same way in both branches. That should tell you something about the relationship between corresponding resistors in each branch (think ratios and scaling).

Further, the fact that the potential across the middle resistors is half that of V1 tells you something else about the resistors in each branch. Look at what V1 is measuring.
So I can say that ##0.4A*\frac{R_1}{R_1+2}##?

As for the voltmeter I can say that ##2*I_3+2*2.5*I_3+R_3*I_3=1.6-0.4r##?

Gbox said:
So I can say that ##0.4A*\frac{R_1}{R_1+2}##?
That's not an equation...
As for the voltmeter I can say that ##2*I_3+2*2.5*I_3+R_3*I_3=1.6-0.4r##?
No equations yet! What is the voltmeter V1 across? It reads the branch voltage for ALL branches, right? They are parallel branches.

Back to the resistors:
If both branches divide the branch voltage in the same way, then all the resistor ratios in one branch must be duplicated in the other. For example, in the bottom branch the first two resistors have ratio 2/2.5. Then the middle branch's first two resistors must have the same ratio. So R1/5 = 2/2.5. What's R1? In fact, the resistors in one branch must be related to the corresponding resistors in the other branch by a single scaling factor (what is it?).

Note that V1 is the whole branch voltage, and the middle resistor of each branch is said to drop half of it. What does that tell you about the the rest of the resistance in each branch? (Hint: Remember how a voltage divider works).

Related to What is the Internal Resistance of the Battery in this Circuit?

1. What is resistance in science?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or object impedes the flow of electricity. It is typically denoted by the symbol "R" and is measured in ohms.

2. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance can be calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I), using the formula R = V/I. This is known as Ohm's Law.

3. What factors affect resistance?

Resistance is affected by several factors, including the type of material, its dimensions, and its temperature. Materials with high resistivity, such as rubber, have higher resistance than materials with low resistivity, such as copper.

4. How does resistance impact electrical circuits?

Resistance plays a crucial role in electrical circuits. It determines the amount of current that can flow through a circuit for a given voltage. High resistance can limit the amount of current and cause a circuit to become inefficient or not work at all.

5. How can resistance be reduced?

Resistance can be reduced by using materials with low resistivity, increasing the cross-sectional area of a conductor, and reducing its length. Additionally, cooling a material can also decrease its resistance. Conductors with low resistance are often used in electrical circuits to minimize energy loss.