Determine the linear acceleration of the two masses

In summary: Not sure how to start, any hints would be greatWelcome to PF:)In summary, the Atwood's Machine has a pulley that has a mass of 7.50 kg and a radius of 0.360 m. The pulley is free to rotate about a fixed axis and has a linear acceleration of 2.15 rad/s2.
Crystal
Poster has been warned about posting with no effort shown

Homework Statement

Two masses, mA = 40.0 kg and mB = 55.0 kg, are connected by a massless cord that passes
over a pulley that is free to rotate about a fixed axis. This device is known as an
Atwood’s Machine. The pulley is a solid cylinder of radius R = 0.360 m and mass of 7.50
kg.
1. Determine the linear acceleration of the two masses
2. Determine the angular acceleration of the pulley

Homework Equations

a=atan+ar

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how to start, any hints would be great

Attachments

• pulley.PNG
    pulley.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF:)
First draw free body diagrams of ##m_{a}##,##m_{B}## and pulley separately.
Try to make equations by using Newton's second law of motion and rotation.

Satvik Pandey said:
Welcome to PF:)
First draw free body diagrams of ##m_{a}##,##m_{B}## and pulley separately.
Try to make equations by using Newton's second law of motion and rotation.
for Ma I got 9.8*40=392
Mb 9.8*55=539
making the total force is 147.

I also know that to find net torque of the pulley its =mratan.

What should I attempt next?

There's a way to solve the problem 'by energies', equating the PE of the system with its total KE 'after the fall', giving that fall some arbitrary value. You should remember that the total KE of this system is the sum of its linear kinetic energy and its rotating kinetic energy...

Crystal said:
for Ma I got 9.8*40=392
Mb 9.8*55=539
making the total force is 147.

I also know that to find net torque of the pulley its =mratan.

What should I attempt next?

I have made free body diagrams for you
Untitled.png

Can you form equations using Newton's second law of motion and rotation.
Just use variables as shown in diagram. Do not put the numerical value right now.

so

fnet = total mass * acceleration
fnet = the sum of all forces on both objects
making it
total mass * linear acceleration = sum of all forces

linear acceleration = 9.8(-40+55+7.5)/(40+55+7.5)
linear acceleration = 2.15rad/s^2

The pulley does not fall not rise or fall, and its mass should not be added to the other two masses. And its weight plays no role...

The contribution of the pulley is to decelerate the masses absorbing a part of the variation of their PE in the form of rotational KE. That's why I pointed out that the problem could be solved 'by energies', equating the loss of PE of the system with the increase of linear KE plus rotational KE...

NTW said:
The pulley does not fall not rise or fall, and its mass should not be added to the other two masses. And its weight plays no role...

The contribution of the pulley is to decelerate the masses absorbing a part of the variation of their PE in the form of rotational KE. That's why I pointed out that the problem could be solved 'by energies', equating the loss of PE of the system with the increase of linear KE plus rotational KE...
so use the formula 1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2?

Related to Determine the linear acceleration of the two masses

1. How do you calculate linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for linear acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of velocity in a straight line, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity (or rotational speed) around a fixed axis. Linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²), while angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

3. What factors affect the linear acceleration of two masses?

The linear acceleration of two masses is affected by the force applied, the mass of the objects, and the coefficient of friction between the objects and the surface they are on. The direction of the force and the angle of the surface also play a role in determining the acceleration.

4. Can the linear acceleration of two masses be negative?

Yes, the linear acceleration of two masses can be negative. This means that the objects are slowing down, or their velocity is decreasing. For example, if a car is moving forward and then applies the brakes, it will experience a negative linear acceleration as it slows down.

5. How is linear acceleration related to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to the two masses, the greater the linear acceleration will be. Similarly, if the mass of the objects increases, the linear acceleration will decrease.