Finding the Acceleration of masses on a pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of strings and pulleys with masses M and m. The strings are massless and inextensible, while the pulleys are frictionless. The first part of the conversation asks to find the accelerations for both masses, considering if they have the same magnitude and how the distance the lower pulley moves relates to the distances traveled by M and m. The second part asks under what condition M and m would have opposite movements, and the third part suggests considering an equilibrium situation.
rodrale25

Homework Statement

Masses M and m are connected to a system of strings and pulleys as shown
in the diagram below. The strings are massless and inextensible, and the p
ulleys are massless and
frictionless.
A: Find the accelerations for M and m (Hint: Think about these two questions:
Do these two masses have the same accelerations
in magnitude ? How is the distance that the lower pulley moves related to the distances
that masses M and m travels?)

B: One can imagine that when M is much larger than m, mass M would descend while mass m w goes up. Under what condition for M and m, would mass M go up while mass m descend? Explain your reasoning by considering the static situation (i.e., when the two masses are in equilibrium with neither M nor m moving)

Homework Equations

Sum of Forces=ma[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I said F= the sum of forces for just one of the masses and solved for a. Doing this for both masses, I got two separate accelerations, and then I realized that the two masses are connected. I know this isn't right because the two masses are connected by the strings somehow but I can't conceptually picture this.[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20170925_114711.jpg
    IMG_20170925_114711.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Rod, :welcome:
rodrale25 said:
I know this isn't right because the two masses are connected by the strings somehow but I can't conceptually picture this
For this reason you are given hints in the form of two questions. What are your answers?
You get a third one from me :smile: : can you imagine an equilibrium situation ? If so, under what condition ?
[edit] reading ahead can be profitable (for folks like me too :rolleyes:): the same question is asked in part B.

Related to Finding the Acceleration of masses on a pulley

1. What is the equation for finding the acceleration of masses on a pulley?

The equation for finding the acceleration of masses on a pulley is: a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the direction of the masses affect the acceleration on a pulley?

The direction of the masses has no effect on the acceleration of the pulley. The acceleration will always be in the direction of the net force acting on the system.

3. Can the acceleration of a pulley be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a pulley can be negative. This would indicate that the masses are accelerating in the opposite direction as the net force acting on the system.

4. How does friction affect the acceleration of masses on a pulley?

Friction can affect the acceleration of masses on a pulley by creating a force that opposes the motion of the masses. This can decrease the acceleration of the system.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the acceleration of masses on a pulley?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the acceleration of masses on a pulley include the mass of the pulley, the amount of friction present, and the precision of the measurements taken. Other external forces, such as air resistance, can also affect the acceleration and should be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.