Determine the length of a pendulum on the moon

In summary, the question asks to find the length of a pendulum on the moon with the same period as a 3.66 m pendulum on Earth, given that the moon's gravity is one-sixth of Earth's gravity. The attempt involves using the formula for the period of a pendulum to equate the expressions and solve for the length on the moon, but further simplification is needed.
cscharvel53
So I'm working on homework, and encountered this problem. I thought I understood what to do, but I'm not getting the right answer. I'm so frustrated I decided to create an account, so this is my first post. I'll do my best to adhere to the PF format of questions.

The Question is:
A pendulum oscillating on the moon has the same period as a(n) 3.66 m pendulum oscillating on Earth. If the moon’s gravity is one-sixth of Earth’s gravity, find the length of the pendulum on
the moon.

Attempt:
Tmoon = Tearth

Tearth = 2∏√(L/g)
Tearth = 2∏√(3.66m/9.8m/s) = 3.8397891 s-1 = Tmoon

gmoon(T/2∏)2 = L
(9.8/6)( 3.8397891/2∏)2 = L = 59.419563 m

Somewhere, I've gone wrong. Any guidance would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it would help to put off plugging in numbers until after a little bit of massaging of the formulas.

You have a formula for the period of a pendulum that relates the period to the length of the pendulum and the local acceleration due to gravity. Since the idea is to have the pendulum on the Moon have the same period as the one on the Earth, assign variable names to the lengths and accelerations and equate the expressions. You should be able to simplify the expression to extract a suitable ratio.

Related to Determine the length of a pendulum on the moon

1. How does gravity affect the length of a pendulum on the moon?

The length of a pendulum on the moon is affected by the strength of gravity. Since the moon has less gravity than Earth, the pendulum will swing slower and have a longer period.

2. How do you determine the length of a pendulum on the moon?

The length of a pendulum on the moon can be determined using the formula: T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the gravitational acceleration on the moon.

3. Is the length of a pendulum on the moon the same as on Earth?

No, the length of a pendulum on the moon is not the same as on Earth. This is because the gravitational acceleration on the moon is approximately one-sixth of that on Earth, resulting in a longer period and therefore a longer length for the pendulum on the moon.

4. What is the effect of air resistance on the length of a pendulum on the moon?

Air resistance does not have a significant effect on the length of a pendulum on the moon. This is because the moon has a very thin atmosphere, so there is very little air resistance to slow down the pendulum's swing.

5. Can the length of a pendulum on the moon be used to determine the moon's gravity?

Yes, the length of a pendulum on the moon can be used to determine the moon's gravity. By measuring the length and period of the pendulum, we can use the formula T = 2π√(L/g) to calculate the gravitational acceleration on the moon.