Determine the energy levels, their degeneracy and wave functions of a particle

In summary, the conversation is about determining the energy levels, degeneracy, and wave functions of a particle with spin quantum number s = 1 and a given Hamiltonian. The attempt at a solution involves finding the Hamiltonian as well as the matrices for S_x, S_y, and S_z, but it is discovered that there is an error in the calculations. After some discussion, it is determined that the solution does not require knowledge of any matrices.
noospace

Homework Statement

Determine the energy levels, their degeneracy and wave functions (in ket notation) of a particle with spin quantum number s =1 if the Hamiltonian is [itex]AS_x^2 + AS_y^2 + B S_z^2[/itex] where A and B are constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

'

I've spent ages thinking about this but I keep finding that the Hamiltonian is [itex](\hbar^2/4)(2A + B)I[/itex] where I is the identity matrix. This is very strange since it implies that there are an infinite number of eigenstates with identically the same eigenvalue!

Physics news on Phys.org
What matrices did you use for the S_x etc? Not the pauli matrices right? They are only valid for spin 1/2 partilces.

[itex]AS_x^2 + AS_y^2 + B S_z^2=AS^2+(B-A)S_z^2.[/itex]
You know S^2. There are three values of S_z, and two of S_z^2.
You don't need to know any matrices.

Hi clem and malawi_glenn,

Thanks heaps for pointing out my mistake.

Related to Determine the energy levels, their degeneracy and wave functions of a particle

What is the concept of energy levels in a particle?

The concept of energy levels in a particle refers to the discrete and quantized values of energy that a particle can possess. This is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, where energy is not continuous but rather exists in distinct levels.

What is meant by degeneracy in relation to energy levels?

Degeneracy refers to the phenomenon where multiple energy levels in a particle have the same energy value. This can occur when the particle possesses certain symmetries or properties that result in the same energy state.

How do scientists determine the energy levels of a particle?

The energy levels of a particle can be determined through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy or electron microscopy. These methods involve studying the interactions of the particle with external fields or particles to measure its energy levels.

What are wave functions and how do they relate to energy levels?

Wave functions are mathematical representations of the probability of finding a particle in a specific energy state. They describe the behavior and characteristics of a particle in terms of its energy levels and help in understanding the quantum nature of particles.

Can the energy levels and wave functions of a particle be predicted accurately?

While the energy levels and wave functions of a particle can be calculated and predicted using mathematical equations, they are subject to uncertainty and may only be known probabilistically. This is due to the inherent randomness and unpredictability of quantum systems.