Determine the degree of each equation in each of the indicated unknowns.

In summary: Similarly, the degree of the equation in $yz$ is the degree of that equation where $x$ is considered a constant; the degree of $x$ is 0 and the degree of $y^4$ is 4, so the term with the highest degree is $yz$ and its degree is 4. Finally, the degree of the equation in $xyz$ is the degree of that equation where $xyz$ is considered a constant, so the right-hand side is zero and the degree of the polynomial is 4.In summary, the degree of the polynomial equation in $xz$ is 3, the degree in $yz$ is 4, and the degree in $xyz$ is also 4. This is
paulmdrdo1
$xy+yz+xz+z^2x=y^4$ x;y;z; x and z; y and z; x, y, and z

I know x is 2nd degree, y is 4th degree, z is 2nd degree.

but I don't know how to determine the degree of the combinations of the unknowns. please help. thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You (and perhaps the person who set this question) seem to have the wrong idea about "degree". The "degree" of a polynomial equation, in each variable, is the highest power to which the variable appears. You say, "I know x is 2nd degree" but I see no "[tex]x^2[/tex]" in the given polynomial. Perhaps that was a mistype. But I have no idea what could be meant by the degree of "x and z", "y and z", or "x, y, and z".

(If you had said "degree of xz" then I might stretch a point and seeing that term "xz" and "[tex]z^2x= z(xz)[/tex]" say that the polynomial is of degree one in "xz".)

paulmdrdo said:
$xy+yz+xz+z^2x=y^4$ x;y;z; x and z; y and z; x, y, and z

I know x is 2nd degree, y is 4th degree, z is 2nd degree.

but I don't know how to determine the degree of the combinations of the unknowns. please help. thanks!

It seems the degree of x to be 1... or may be the expression is erroneous?... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

what I mean is the degree of the polynomial equation in xz, the degree in yz, the degree in xyz. the answer in my book says 3,4,4 respectively. but I didn't understand why is that.

First, let's agree on the basic definitions. From Wikipedia:

A polynomial can either be zero or can be written as the sum of a finite number of non-zero terms. Each term consists of the product of a number—called the coefficient of the term—and a finite number of indeterminates, raised to integer powers. The exponent on an indeterminate in a term is called the degree of that indeterminate in that term; the degree of the term is the sum of the degrees of the indeterminates in that term, and the degree of a polynomial is the largest degree of anyone term with nonzero coefficient.

paulmdrdo said:
what I mean is the degree of the polynomial equation in xz, the degree in yz, the degree in xyz. the answer in my book says 3,4,4 respectively. but I didn't understand why is that.
My guess is that the degree of the equation in $xz$ is the degree of that equation where $y$ is considered a constant (i.e., a coefficient) rather than a variable (indeterminate). Then the degree of the right-hand size $y^4$ is 0, and the term with the highest degree is $z^2x$; its degree is 3.

Related to Determine the degree of each equation in each of the indicated unknowns.

What does it mean to determine the degree of an equation?

The degree of an equation refers to the highest exponent or power of the variable in the equation. It helps to classify the equation and determine the number of solutions it may have.

How do you determine the degree of an equation with one unknown?

To determine the degree of an equation with one unknown, simply look at the highest exponent of the variable in the equation. For example, the equation 3x^2 + 5x + 2 has a degree of 2.

What about equations with multiple unknowns?

In equations with multiple unknowns, the degree is determined by the highest sum of exponents in any one term. For example, the equation 2x^3y^2 + 4xy + 5 has a degree of 5 (3+2).

Why is it important to determine the degree of an equation?

Determining the degree of an equation helps to understand the complexity of the equation and can give clues about the types of solutions it may have. It also helps to classify the equation and determine the appropriate methods for solving it.

Are there any special cases when determining the degree of an equation?

Yes, there are special cases such as equations with no variables or equations with negative exponents. In these cases, the degree is considered to be 0 and -∞, respectively.