Determine the amplitude of a mechanical wave given only it's velocity and period

In summary, the transverse displacement, dy/dt, is equal to the transverse velocity, Vo, and the amplitude, A, is given by A=Yo/sin&.
staticd

Homework Statement

A transverse sinusiodal wave on a string has a period T= 25.0 ms and travels in the negative x direction with a speed of 30.0 m/s. At t=0, an element of the string at x=0 has a transverse position of 2.00 cm and is traveling downward with a speed of 2.00 m/s.

Homework Equations

I know that the general equation for a waveform is:

y(x,t)= Asin(kx-(omega)t+(phi))

{omega is the angular frequency and phi is the phase constant}

I also know that at t=0 and x=0

y(x,t)=.02 m --> .02=Asin(phi) --> A=.02/sin(phi)

I can also determine omega given the period:

omega=(2*pi)/.025=251.3274 rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Even with my relevant equations, I cannot figure out what I am supposed to do with the extra known factor, velocity. I have scrubbed the current chapter and can't find where I can use the transverse position, angular frequency and velocity in the y direction to determine a waves amplitude. What am I missing? Please help! I have so many problems to do but I just can't do another one until I figure this out! Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
There`s certainly a way of getting A with that data. I´ll be glad to explain it to you but it's a little heavy, I mean all the calculations.

Let's start:

we are given the constants of the wave T which, as you said, give us w (omega) and v which give us k (by the relationship v=(lamda)/T and from that k=2·(pi)/(lamda) ). We also have the elongation y(0,0)=Yo (i know the data is numerical but in order to have it more simple we´ll work with letters) and the velociti of that point at that time Vy(0,0)=Vo. (I think this is the fact that you misregarded in your first post)

Ok then we can write the eq. like this (as you did):

y(x,t)=A·sin(kx-wt+&) [& is (phi)]

the first condition we know is y(0,0)=Yo , let's write it:

y(0,0)=A·sin(k·0-w·0+&)=A·sin&=Yo -> A·sin&=Yo

first relationship between unknown & and A.

Now we use the fact that velocity of the point x=0 at t=0 is 2m/s downwards which makes:

Vo=-2 m/s so we´ll work with Vo.

You should remember or know that the velocity of a point at a moment is given by the partial derivative with respecto to time of the wave function y(x,t)=... So let's differenciate:

[tex]\partial[/tex]y/[tex]\partial[/tex]t=-Aw·cos(kx-wt+&)

so,

Vy(0,0)=-Aw·cos(K·0-w·0+&)=-Aw·cos&=Vo -> -Aw·cos&=Vo

Second relationship between unkanown A and &.

Now you just have to solve the eqs. system:

A·sin&=Yo

A·w·cos&=Vo

My personal advice with the system is to divide first eq. by the other and write the new eq. (without A) like this:

sin&=(w·Yo/Vo)·cos&

And the use the trigonometric relationship sin2&+cos2&=1 in order to get the expression of sin& (as we want A, not &) then once you've done all the calculations just put the expression you get for sin& in the one of the first eqs. which had sin& on it:

A·sin&=Yo -> A=Yo/sin&

And there you have your solution.

Hope it is worth and hope I made myself clear. If you have any other trouble just tell me.

Salutations, zaphys. :)

When a transverse sinusoidal wave travels on a string, every element of the string executes simple harmonic motion. Its equation is given by
y = A*sin(ωt), where y is the transverse displacement, A is the amplitude and ω is the angular velocity = 2π/T.
The transverse velocity is given by
dy/dt = A*ω*cos(ωt) = ω*sqrt[ A^2 - A^2*sin^2(ωt)] = ω*sqrt[ A^2 - y^2]
Angular velocity, transverse velocity and transverse displacement is given. Find the wave amplitude.

Why didn't I see that? Thank you so much...(solving for A reveals the amplitude to be 2.15 cm).

I think I just hit the wall in my head where I am not thinking holistically about the problem.

Thanks again.

Wait a second, rl.

How did you come up with that equality for the derivative of the waveform?

I think that was what I was actually looking for!

staticd said:
Wait a second, rl.

How did you come up with that equality for the derivative of the waveform?

I think that was what I was actually looking for!
If y is the displacement, then dy/dt will be the velocity. Using simple trigonometry I got the equality.

rl.bhat said:
If y is the displacement, then dy/dt will be the velocity. Using simple trigonometry I got the equality.

Thank you so much for your help with this. While I did find the solution, I am having trouble visualizing what this means. Do you know, or can you draw, the graphical representation of how to solve for A? Many thanks.

guess i get no love with this request---

staticd said:
guess i get no love with this request---
Sorry. I don't how to do that.

No worries! In my mind, I picture a circle that has a radius equal to A. Where the angular frequency is the rate at which A fluctuates from +A to -A in radians per second. I am just not sure what that really looks like or if I am way of base. Your equation says that if I know the transverse position and the angular frequency then I can determine the amplitude. I am just trying to figure out how this all ties together because I think it's an important fundamental concept. Thanks for the try.

Related to Determine the amplitude of a mechanical wave given only it's velocity and period

1. What is the relationship between the amplitude, velocity, and period of a mechanical wave?

The amplitude, velocity, and period of a mechanical wave are all related through the wave's frequency. The frequency of a wave is equal to the velocity divided by the wavelength, and the wavelength is equal to the velocity multiplied by the period. Therefore, the amplitude can be determined by using the velocity and period to calculate the wave's frequency, and then using the frequency to calculate the amplitude.

2. How can I calculate the amplitude of a wave if I only know its velocity and period?

To calculate the amplitude of a wave using only its velocity and period, you will need to use the formula A = (vT)/2π, where A is the amplitude, v is the velocity, and T is the period. This formula is derived from the relationship between frequency, velocity, and wavelength mentioned in the previous question.

3. Can the amplitude of a mechanical wave change with time?

Yes, the amplitude of a mechanical wave can change with time. This is known as amplitude modulation and is commonly observed in waves such as sound waves and radio waves. The amplitude of a wave can also change due to factors such as interference, diffraction, and absorption.

4. How does the amplitude of a wave affect its energy?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that the higher the amplitude, the greater the energy carried by the wave. This relationship is described by the equation E ∝ A², where E is the energy and A is the amplitude. This is why larger waves, like tsunamis, have much more destructive energy compared to smaller waves.

5. Can I determine the amplitude of a wave using only its velocity and wavelength?

No, you cannot determine the amplitude of a wave using only its velocity and wavelength. The amplitude of a wave is dependent on both the velocity and period, not the wavelength. It is possible to calculate the wavelength of a wave using its velocity and frequency, but this alone cannot give you the amplitude. You will need to know the period or frequency in addition to the velocity to determine the amplitude.