Determine P(t)=(Px(t),Py(t)) given (x0,y0) and v(x,y,t).

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D problem involving a velocity field and the position of a particle at a certain time. The proposed solution involves solving a set of first-order ODEs using the initial condition of the particle's position. This solution describes the motion of the particle and can be used to transform from Euler to Lagrange coordinates.
Wiccan
Dear all,

I'm a bit confused about a 2D problem which I thought had a simple solution...
I don't know if I'm correct, so:

I have a 2D space, and time. I know the velocity field v(x,y,t). I would like to know where the particle which start at the position x0,y0 at an istant t0 is at a certain istant t>t0.My idea is:
p(t)=<px(t),py(t)>

dp/dt=v(p,t)=<vx(px,py,t),vy(px,py,t)>
%%%
dpx/dt=vx(px,py,t)
dpy/dt=vy(px,py,t)
%%%

Then I would solve it by part...even if the solution can be not easy due to dependence on time,
Ex:
vx=px*t, vy=px*py
%%% % %%
dpx/px=t dt %px=c1*exp(0.5*t^2)
dpy/py=px dt %dpy/py=c1*exp(0.5*t^2)dt etc...
%%% %%%

Is this answer formally correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
These are the path lines of particles. They are given via the velocity field by solving the 1st-order set of ODE's
$$\frac{\mathrm{d} \vec{x}(t)}{\mathrm{d} t}=\vec{v}(t,\vec{x}(t))$$
with the initial condition
$$\vec{x}(0)=\vec{x}_0.$$
The solution of the ODE's describes the motion of a fluid element that was located at ##\vec{x}_0## at time ##t=0##. In other words it gives you the transformation from Euler to Lagrange coordinates.

Related to Determine P(t)=(Px(t),Py(t)) given (x0,y0) and v(x,y,t).

What does the function P(t) represent?

The function P(t) represents the position of an object at time t, with coordinates Px(t) and Py(t).

How do you determine P(t) if given initial position (x0,y0) and velocity (v(x,y,t))?

To determine P(t), you can use the formula Px(t) = x0 + v(x,t) * t and Py(t) = y0 + v(y,t) * t, where x0 and y0 are the initial position coordinates and v(x,y,t) is the velocity function.

What if the velocity is not constant?

If the velocity is not constant, you will need to use a different formula to calculate P(t). One possible approach is to break the velocity function into its x and y components and integrate each component separately to obtain Px(t) and Py(t).

Can P(t) be negative?

Yes, P(t) can be negative if the object's position is in the negative direction from the origin. This will depend on the initial position and the direction of the velocity vector.

What units does P(t) have?

The units of P(t) will depend on the units of the initial position and the velocity. For example, if the initial position is in meters and the velocity is in meters per second, then the units of P(t) will be in meters.