Determine magnitude of the components of these forces

In summary, the conversation was about resolving the force F2 into components along the u and v axes. The questioner was having trouble solving for F2v and had already determined F2u. With the help of the expert, they realized that the triangle they constructed was parallel to the u axis and were able to use the sine law to solve for F2v. The expert also clarified that F2u should be parallel to the u axis.
pka

Homework Statement

Resolve the force F2 into components acting along the u and v axes and determine the magnitudes of the components.

So! I was able to finally determine F2u. I cannot for the live of me get F2v. I am having a very hard time solving this problem. I have included the diagram of the problem. All of it is what is given.

Here is the link to the image:
http://i16.tinypic.com/6je9m60.jpg

Alright! So in order to first solve for F2v I constructed a triangle where the left side was the F2 force of 500 N and the right side was the F2v vector. They're both connected by the same point. It looks exactly as in the diagram I included. And via the diagram included I determined that the angles inside the triangle are 45, 65 and 70 counterclockwise. So! I used the Law of Sines. F2v is then 482 N.

Ok, so in order to calculate F2u I tried something similar but my numbers are far too large. I get numbers in the range of 600-1000 N. And...F2v should be 376 N. I tried the same thing I did with F2v but I can't seem to determine the base angles so that I can use Law of Sines again. I get 115 degrees as the angle between the concurrent forces (F2 and F2u). But I don't know how to get the other two angles. I'm just stumped. I thought maybe a different approach would be better. So I tried just solving for the opposite side of the u line to get F2u...In other words I said that F2u is (500 N)*cos(65 deg). 65 because that's the angle between 70 and 45. And...well I get 211 N. But that's not it either. =/

If anyone could tell me the way I'm supposed to be thinking about this problem I would greatly appreciate it because there are more problems like there I'm having trouble with but I really need some help. hahaha. Many thanks in advance!

--pka

Physics news on Phys.org
So! I was able to finally determine F2u. I cannot for the live of me get F2v.
F2v is then 482 N.

Ok, so in order to calculate F2u I tried something similar but my numbers are far too large. I get numbers in the range of 600-1000 N. And...F2v should be 376 N.

You mean you can't get F2u? You just said that F2v was 482 N and then you said it was 376 N. I'm not sure I'm following...

Where you are taking your F2u? It should be from the tip of F2v (so along the v axis) to the tip of F2 and it will be parallel to the u axis. Those angles you stated are correct for the triangle those vectors form. You should just be able to use the sine law to get the answer.

Last edited:
OOOOOHHHH! Thank you so much. I hadn't realized that the triangle I constructed was parallel to u. And yes, it was F2u is the one I needed to find. And of course it parallel right? Because otherwise how could I possibly have determined the angles of the triangle. I made this problem more difficult for myself than it needed to be. lol. In any case, thank you for the help!

You're welcome.

Related to Determine magnitude of the components of these forces

1. What are the components of a force?

The components of a force are the magnitude and direction of the force.

2. How do you determine the magnitude of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be determined by measuring the amount of force applied or by using mathematical calculations such as trigonometry to analyze the components of the force.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a force?

The magnitude of a force refers to the strength or size of the force, while the direction of a force refers to the path or orientation in which the force is acting.

4. What are some methods for determining the components of a force?

Some methods for determining the components of a force include using a force table, using trigonometry to analyze the angle and magnitude of the force, or using vector analysis to break down the force into its components.

5. Why is it important to determine the magnitude of a force?

Determining the magnitude of a force is important because it allows us to understand the strength and impact of the force on an object. It also allows us to accurately calculate the effects of multiple forces acting on an object and make predictions or solve problems in physics and engineering.