Determine if the set of functions is linearly independent

In summary: I was hoping there was a way of doing the work in a more analytical way.In summary, the given set of functions, $$S=x~sin~x, ~ x~cos~x$$, can be determined to be linearly independent by using the Wronskian and showing that it is not identically zero. However, there are cases where the Wronskian may be zero but the functions are still linearly independent. An alternative method is to use the definition of linear independence, where A and B are set to zero when x=π/2, and then choosing a non-zero value for x to show that both A and B must equal zero, proving that there are no non-trivial solutions. This method may
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

Determine if the given set of functions is linearly independent or linearly dependent.

Homework Equations

$$S=x~sin~x, ~ x~cos~x$$

The Attempt at a Solution

My first instinct was to use the Wronskian.

$$W[y_1(x), y_2(x)]=\begin{vmatrix}
x~sin~x & x~cos~x\\
x~cos~x+sin~x & cos~x-x~sin~x
\end{vmatrix}$$

Now I take the determinant and I get -

$$W=x~cos~x(cos~x-x~sin~x)-x~cos~x(x~cos~x+sin~x)$$
$$W=x~cos~x~sin~x-x^2~sin^2~x-x^2~cos^2~x-x~cos~x~sin~x$$
$$W=-x^2~sin^2~x-x^2~cos^2~x$$
$$W=-x^2(sin^2~x+cos^2~x)$$
$$W=-x^2$$

Now, since ##-x^2\neq0##, can I conclude that the functions are linearly independent?

I've done some examples in my textbook that involved determining linear independence on the interval of all real numbers, and there were some instances when the Wronskian didn't equal 0, but the answer key said that they were linearly dependent. I understood that the Wronksian was to determine linear independence or dependence. Am I correct, or do I misunderstand the Wronksian?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumCurt said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the given set of functions is linearly independent or linearly dependent.

Homework Equations

$$S=x~sin~x, ~ x~cos~x$$

x~sin~x & x~cos~x\\
\end{vmatrix}$$

$$W=-x^2$$

Now, since ##-x^2\neq0##, can I conclude that the functions are linearly independent?
Yes, since the Wronskian isn't identically zero, the two functions are linearly independent.
QuantumCurt said:
I've done some examples in my textbook that involved determining linear independence on the interval of all real numbers, and there were some instances when the Wronskian didn't equal 0, but the answer key said that they were linearly dependent. I understood that the Wronksian was to determine linear independence or dependence. Am I correct, or do I misunderstand the Wronksian?

Likes QuantumCurt
QuantumCurt said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

$$S=x~sin~x, ~ x~cos~x$$

x~sin~x & x~cos~x\\
\end{vmatrix}$$

$$W=-x^2$$

If the Wronskian is nonzero at any point on an interval, then the functions are linearly independent on that interval. The reverse isn't quite true. There are cases where the Wronskian is zero but the functions are still linearly independent. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wronskian

Likes QuantumCurt
It seems to me simpler to just use the definition of "independent". The two given functions are independent if and only if the only way we can have Ax sin(x)+ Bx cos(x)= 0, for all x is if A= B= 0. If that is to be true for all x, in particular it is true for [itex]x= \pi/2[/itex] so that [itex]A(\pi/2) sin(\pi/2)+ B (\pi/2) cos(\pi/2)= A(\pi/2)= 0[/itex] so A= 0. But then we must have Bx cos(x)= 0 for all x. Choose any non-zero x such that cos(x) is not 0 to see that B= 0 also.

Likes QuantumCurt
Is there a formal way of showing the work using that method, or is it more along the lines of analytical guesswork?

I guess what I'm really asking is if there's an algebraic way of proving that there are no non-trivial solutions.

QuantumCurt said:
Is there a formal way of showing the work using that method, or is it more along the lines of analytical guesswork?

I guess what I'm really asking is if there's an algebraic way of proving that there are no non-trivial solutions.
Using the definition of linear independence is a formal way. There was not any guesswork in what HallsOfIvy did.

Last edited:
Guesswork wasn't the best way of putting it. Clearly when pi/2 is substituted in, the B term will go to zero and the A term will just go to A*pi/2. This is a fairly simple example, but with more complex sets of functions it may not always be so clear. I posted a set of 5 functions the other day that had to be tested for linear independence. The solutions weren't so immediately clear.

Related to Determine if the set of functions is linearly independent

What does it mean for a set of functions to be linearly independent?

Linear independence means that no function in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other functions in the set. In other words, the only way to get a sum of zero from the functions is if all the coefficients are zero.

How do you determine if a set of functions is linearly independent?

One way to determine if a set of functions is linearly independent is by using the Wronskian determinant. If the determinant is non-zero for all values of the independent variable, then the functions are linearly independent. Another method is to set up a system of equations using the functions and solve for the coefficients. If the only solution is for all coefficients to be zero, then the functions are linearly independent.

What is the significance of linear independence in mathematics?

Linear independence is important because it allows us to solve systems of equations and understand the behavior of functions. It also helps to determine the number of independent solutions to a differential equation. In linear algebra, linear independence is used to find a basis for a vector space.

Can a set of functions be linearly independent in one domain but not in another?

Yes, a set of functions can be linearly independent in one domain but not in another. This is because the linear independence of a set of functions is dependent on the values of the independent variable. A different domain can result in different values of the Wronskian determinant, which determines the linear independence of the functions.

What is the relationship between linear independence and linear dependence?

If a set of functions is not linearly independent, then it is linearly dependent. This means that at least one function in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other functions. In other words, there is not enough diversity among the functions to make them independent. Linear dependence can also be thought of as redundancy within a set of functions.