Determine if the series is convergent or divergent and radio test

In summary, the numerator is a sequence that is divisible by both the first and second term, but not the third.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[itex]1+\dfrac{2^2}{2!}+\dfrac{3^2}{3!}... \infty[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]t_n = \dfrac{n^2}{n!} \\ \dfrac{n}{(n-1)(n-2)...1}[/itex]

I tried applying the Ratio Test but couldn't find another function which would give me a finite limit when divided by that function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the ratio test is the following. Given a (formal) series
[tex]S=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n[/tex]
with [itex]a_n \geq 0[/itex], you compare it to the geometric series
[tex]S'=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} q^n, \quad q \geq 0[/tex]
The geometric series is convergent for [itex]0 \leq q<1[/itex].

This implies that if for some [itex]N[/itex] you have [itex]a_n<q^n[/itex] for all [itex]n>N[/itex] with some [itex]0 \leq q<1[/itex], the series is convergent. No it's easy to show that this is the case if
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}<1.[/tex]
Note that this makes, of course, only sense if the ratio converges. Also it's important to keep in mind that this ratio cirterion is only suffcient for convergence of the series but by no means necessary, i.e., even if the ratio converges to 1, it doesn't mean that the series is necessarily divergent. For sure, it is divergent, if the ratio converges to a limit [itex]>1[/itex].

If I say more about the current question, I'd solve the task, but this the OP should be able to do now ;-).

ehild said:

The above link describes the D' Alembert's Ratio Test which is different from my approach. I should have rather used the word 'Comparison Test' to make things more clear. I'm trying to use the following property:

If two positive term series ∑un and ∑vn be such that
[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{u_n}{v_n} [/itex] is a finite quantity (≠0), then ∑un and ∑vn converge or diverge together.

I see. But applying the Ratio Test solves your problem about the convergence.

ehild

utkarshakash said:
The above link describes the D' Alembert's Ratio Test which is different from my approach. I should have rather used the word 'Comparison Test' to make things more clear. I'm trying to use the following property:

[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \dfrac{u_n}{v_n} [/itex] is a finite quantity (≠0), then ∑un and ∑vn converge or diverge together.

Use the ratio test, which has the advantage of not requiring you to find a series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] with known convergence properties and satisfying [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n n!/n^2 \neq 0[/itex].

utkarshakash said:

If all you want to do is prove (or disprove) convergence, just use the easiest tool available---the ratio test in this case. There is no good reason to use the comparison test unless your teacher has ordered you to use it and told you that you are not allowed to use any other method.

Last edited:
utkarshakash said:

The Comparison test means if 0<an<bn and ∑bn converges so does ∑an. What you want to apply is the Limit comparison test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_series

ehild

So, Utkarshakash, have you actually tried the ratio test (not the limit comparison test)? What happens?

Ray Vickson said:
If all you want to do is prove (or disprove) convergence, just use the easiest tool available---the ratio test in this case. There is no good reason to use the comparison test unless your teacher has ordered you to use it and told you that you are not allowed to use any other method.

LCKurtz said:
So, Utkarshakash, have you actually tried the ratio test (not the limit comparison test)? What happens?

I'm not allowed to use the ratio test for this problem.

utkarshakash said:
I'm not allowed to use the ratio test for this problem.

utkarshakash said:
... I should have rather used the word 'Comparison Test' to make things more clear. I'm trying to use the following property:

In post #8, ehild pointed out that the test you describe is known as the Limit Comparison Test.

utkarshakash said:

[itex]t_n = \dfrac{n^2}{n!} \\ \ \ = \dfrac{n}{(n-1)(n-2)\,\dots \,1}[/itex]

Try expressing the numerator as ##\ (n-1)+1\ ## and split this result for tn into two terms

Related to Determine if the series is convergent or divergent and radio test

1. What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a sequence of numbers that approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of all terms in a convergent series approaches a specific value as more terms are added.

2. What is a divergent series?

A divergent series is a sequence of numbers that does not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of all terms in a divergent series does not have a specific value and can either increase or decrease without bound.

3. What is the radio test for determining the convergence or divergence of a series?

The radio test, also known as the ratio test, is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

4. Can the radio test be used for all series?

No, the radio test can only be used for series that have positive terms and where the ratio of consecutive terms approaches a limit. It cannot be used for alternating series or series with non-positive terms.

5. What other methods can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series?

Other methods include the comparison test, the integral test, the alternating series test, and the root test. These methods are used to compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series, or to evaluate the limit of the terms in the series. In some cases, more than one method may need to be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.