Determine exact solutions to trig equation with graphing calculator

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the number of solutions to a trig equation and is using a graph to help them count the roots. They mention excluding the root at $x=2\pi$ from the domain and ultimately determine that there are 6 solutions.
estex198
Im trying to determine the exact solutions (in degrees) to the trig equation shown below. I'm only interested in solutions over the interval [0, 360) . In my ti-83+, I input the function as y= 6(1/cos(X))^2*tan(X)-12tan(X). If I already know the number of solutions is 6, how can I tell this from the graph??

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-02-05 04:03:01.jpg
    Screenshot from 2014-02-05 04:03:01.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 53
Mathematics news on Phys.org
estex198 said:
If I already know the number of solutions is 6, how can I tell this from the graph??

Count them?

A graph like this may make it easier for you to count the roots:

View attachment 1932

Attachments

• estex198.jpg
    estex198.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 57
Is that graph plotted using radians? Still it looks like 7.

estex198 said:
Is that graph plotted using radians? Still it looks like 7.

Yes, I did not convert to degrees, I just let the domain be \(\displaystyle 0\le x<2\pi\) which means you do not count the root at $x=2\pi$.

Ok great! So now I see y=0 (or roots as you refer to them) at 7 points. Thanks for the help!

estex198 said:
Ok great! So now I see y=0 (or roots as you refer to them) at 7 points. Thanks for the help!

You don't want to count the root at $x=2\pi$ because this is excluded from the domain.

MarkFL said:
You don't want to count the root at $x=2\pi$ because this is excluded from the domain.

Forgive me, I meant to say I see y=0 at 6 points. Thanks for reminding me of the domain.

Related to Determine exact solutions to trig equation with graphing calculator

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These equations can be solved by finding the values of the variables that make the equation true.

How can a graphing calculator be used to determine the exact solutions to a trigonometric equation?

A graphing calculator can be used to plot the graph of the trigonometric function and find the points where the graph intersects the x-axis. These points correspond to the solutions of the equation.

What are exact solutions to a trigonometric equation?

Exact solutions to a trigonometric equation are values of the variables that make the equation true. These solutions can be expressed in terms of exact values such as pi or square roots, rather than decimal approximations.

Can a graphing calculator always determine the exact solutions to a trigonometric equation?

No, a graphing calculator may not always be able to determine the exact solutions to a trigonometric equation. It depends on the complexity of the equation and the accuracy of the calculator's display.

Are there other methods for solving trigonometric equations besides using a graphing calculator?

Yes, there are other methods for solving trigonometric equations, such as using trigonometric identities, factoring, and substitution. These methods may be more accurate or efficient for certain types of equations.