Determine Diagonalizability of LTI System A

In summary: So you can just expand the determinant directly.In summary, to determine if A is diagonalizable, you need to find the eigenvalues by setting the determinant of ##\lambda I - A## to 0, and then check if there are four linearly independent eigenvectors. The matrix is diagonalizable if and only if there are four linearly independent eigenvectors.
Linder88

Homework Statement

Consider the LTI (A,B,C,D) system
$$
\dot{x}=
\begin{pmatrix}
0.5&0&0&0\\
0&-2&0&0\\
1&0&0.5&0\\
0&0&0&-1
\end{pmatrix}
x+
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
1\\
0\\
\end{pmatrix}
u
$$
$$
y=
\begin{pmatrix}
0&1&0&1
\end{pmatrix}
x
$$
Determine if A is diagonalizable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The characteristic equation is given by
$$
\lambda I-A=
\begin{pmatrix}
\lambda-0.5&0&0&0\\
0&\lambda+2&0&0\\
1&0&\lambda-0.5&0\\
0&0&0&\lambda+1
\end{pmatrix}
$$
The determinant is given by
$$
det(\lambda I-A)=(\lambda-0.5)(\lambda+2)(\lambda-0.5)(\lambda+2)
$$
What do I have to do next to determine if A is diagonalizable? I am waiting hopefully for an answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Linder88 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the LTI (A,B,C,D) system
$$
\dot{x}=
\begin{pmatrix}
0.5&0&0&0\\
0&-2&0&0\\
1&0&0.5&0\\
0&0&0&-1
\end{pmatrix}
x+
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\
1\\
0\\
\end{pmatrix}
u
$$
$$
y=
\begin{pmatrix}
0&1&0&1
\end{pmatrix}
x
$$
Determine if A is diagonalizable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The characteristic equation is given by
$$
\lambda I-A=
\begin{pmatrix}
\lambda-0.5&0&0&0\\
0&\lambda+2&0&0\\
1&0&\lambda-0.5&0\\
0&0&0&\lambda+1
\end{pmatrix}
$$
The determinant is given by
$$
det(\lambda I-A)=(\lambda-0.5)(\lambda+2)(\lambda-0.5)(\lambda+2)
$$
What do I have to do next to determine if A is diagonalizable? I am waiting hopefully for an answer!
You have a mistake in your work. The last line above should be ##| \lambda I - A| = (\lambda-0.5)(\lambda+2)(\lambda-0.5)(\lambda + 1)##.
Set the determinant to 0 to find the three eigenvalues (one is repeated).
The matrix is diagonalizable if these eigenvalues yield four linearly independent eigenvectors.

BTW, what does LTI (A,B,C,D) mean?

I should also mention that since your matrix ##\lambda I - A## is lower triangular (all entries above the main diagonal are zero), its determinant is the product of the entries on the diagonal.

Related to Determine Diagonalizability of LTI System A

What is a diagonalizable matrix?

A diagonalizable matrix is a square matrix that can be transformed into a diagonal matrix through a similarity transformation. This means that the matrix can be written as a product of three matrices: A = PDP^-1, where P is an invertible matrix and D is a diagonal matrix.

What are the conditions for a matrix to be diagonalizable?

For a matrix to be diagonalizable, it must have n linearly independent eigenvectors, where n is the size of the matrix. Additionally, all of the eigenvalues of the matrix must be distinct.

How do you diagonalize a matrix?

To diagonalize a matrix, you must first find the eigenvalues of the matrix by solving for the roots of its characteristic polynomial. Then, find the corresponding eigenvectors for each eigenvalue. Arrange the eigenvectors as columns in a matrix P and the eigenvalues on the diagonal of a matrix D. The diagonalized matrix is then given by A = PDP^-1.

What are the benefits of diagonalizing a matrix?

Diagonalizing a matrix simplifies its calculations and makes it easier to solve certain problems, such as finding powers of the matrix or computing determinants. It also provides insight into the behavior and properties of the matrix, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

What is the difference between a diagonalizable matrix and a diagonal matrix?

A diagonalizable matrix can be transformed into a diagonal matrix, whereas a diagonal matrix is already in its diagonal form and cannot be further transformed. Additionally, a diagonalizable matrix may have non-zero entries off the diagonal, while a diagonal matrix has all zero entries off the diagonal.