Determine Convergence/Divergence: Series Answers

In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's final exam and their request for help with similar questions that they were struggling with. The content discussed involved determining convergence and divergence of two series using a theorem and evaluating an expression. The speaker also expressed gratitude for the help they received.
ineedhelpnow
my final is tomorrow and my instructor gave a list of questions that will be similar to the ones on the final exam and i want to see how they should be done properly. I've been working on other problems but i can't get past these ones. thanks
determine convergence/divergence

$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{5n^2+6}{n^4+7n+6}$

$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} cos(\frac{4n^2+5}{2n^4+6})$id really appreciate any help. thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
determine convergence/divergence

$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{5n^2+6}{n^4+7n+6}$
We use the theorem:

Let $a_n,b_n$ sequences of positive numbers such that $\frac{a_n}{b_n} \to l$,where $l>0$.Then,$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n$ converges iff $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_n$ converges.

$$\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{\frac{5n^2+6}{n^4+7n+6}}{\frac{1}{n^2}}=5>0$$

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} \text{ converges, therefore } \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{5n^2+6}{n^4+7n+6} \text{ converges.}$$

- - - Updated - - -

ineedhelpnow said:
determine convergence/divergence$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} cos(\frac{4n^2+5}{2n^4+6})$

$$\frac{4n^2+5}{2n^4+6} \to 0, \text{ therefore: } \cos(\frac{4n^2+5}{2n^4+6}) \to 1 \nrightarrow 0$$

So,the series cannot converge.

ineedhelpnow said:
my final is tomorrow and my instructor gave a list of questions that will be similar to the ones on the final exam and i want to see how they should be done properly. I've been working on other problems but i can't get past these ones. thanks

Good luck for tomorrow's exam! (Smile)

thanks for all your help evinda! you give the best explanations :D

Related to Determine Convergence/Divergence: Series Answers

What does it mean for a series to converge?

Convergence in a series means that the terms of the series approach a finite or specific value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of the terms becomes closer and closer to a single number as more terms are added.

How do you determine if a series converges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series converges. Some of the most commonly used tests include the comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. These tests compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series, or analyze the behavior of the terms in the series to determine convergence.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence occurs when the series converges regardless of the order of terms, while conditional convergence occurs when the series only converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order. In other words, absolute convergence means the series converges no matter how the terms are rearranged, while conditional convergence depends on the order of the terms.

Can a series diverge even if its terms approach zero?

Yes, a series can still diverge even if its terms approach zero. This is because the terms may approach zero too slowly, resulting in an infinite sum. This is known as the divergence test, which states that if the limit of the terms does not equal zero, the series diverges.

How can the convergence or divergence of a series affect its usefulness in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, the convergence or divergence of a series can determine if the series accurately represents a real-life scenario. For example, if a series used to model a population growth converges, it means the population will eventually reach a steady state. However, if the series diverges, it means the population will continue to grow exponentially, which may not accurately reflect reality.