Determinant proof from abstract algebra

In summary: Yeah... I see it now, almost... it seems obvious but I may be missing a piece...In summary, the determinant of a matrix A^-1 only has integer entries if and only if the determinant of A is +-1.
brydustin

Homework Statement

Let A be a a square n*n matrix. Prove that A^-1 has only integer enteries if and only if the determinant of A is + or -1.

Homework Equations

general knowledge of determinants

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof:

=>
Suppose that det(A) = 1 (without losing generality, i.e. if det(A) = -1, then det(-A) = -det(A) = 1, easy enough).
So if det(A) = 1, then it follows that det(A^-1) = 1 because
1 = det( I ) = det(AIA^-1) = det(A) *det(I) * det(A^-1) = 1*1*det(A^-1) = 1, which implies det(A^-1) = 1 (or -1 if det(A) = -1).
Now what?

<=
Suppose that all the enteries of the matrix A^-1 are integer,...
I have no clue what to do now...

Physics news on Phys.org
what about
|0.5 0|
|0 2|

Sorry I did a slight misquote of the website from where I pulled the problem:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-701-algebra-i-fall-2007/assignments/
first question on first assignment.

Basically, assuming that A is a square matrix with integer entries only; then prove that A^−1 has integer entries if and only if the determinant of A is ±1.

Sorry about that: so your matrix would not be a counter-example because neither it nor its inverse has only integer. Equivalently, if one matrix is all integers with a determinant of +-1 then the inverse of this matrix will also be an integer only matrix with the same determinant.

lanedance said:
what about
|0.5 0|
|0 2|

Last edited by a moderator:
--> A^-1 has only integer entries
so as A^-1 exists, then the determinant of A is non-zero. Think of the effect of elementary row operations on the determinant to reduce the matrix to the identity...

also det(-A) = -det(A) is not always true

Maybe you can use that [tex]det(A^{-1})=det(A)^{-1}[/tex]...

micromass said:
Maybe you can use that [tex]det(A^{-1})=det(A)^{-1}[/tex]...
Exactly. If both A and [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] have integer entries, then their determinants are integers. Find integers, m and n, such that m= 1/n!

Going the other way, if the determinant of A is -1 or 1, use the fact that the entries of [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] are the cofactors of A divided by det(A).

Yeah... I see it now, almost... it seems obvious but I may be missing a piece...

Because the determinant operation is only multiplication and subtraction it preserves the integers (from A). On the other hand, we require that det( [itex]A^{-1}[/itex]) =+-1 because 1 = det (I) = det(AIA^-1) = det( A)*det(I)*det( [itex]A^{-1}[/itex]) = (+-1)(1)(det [itex]A^{-1}[/itex])
Now that the det of [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] is +-1 I still don't know why we require the entries to be integers. I see how having integer entries would result in an integer determinant, but I don't see the converse.

Going the other way around, if [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] has integer values then clearly its determinant will be an integer.
Now if we use the fact that det(A)^-1 = det(A^-1) then why should that make det(A) = +-1?
Let d = det(A^-1) where d is an integer. There is nothing that requires det(A)^-1 to be an integer. There are some holes in the logic we have... but we're nearly there...

HallsofIvy said:
Exactly. If both A and [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] have integer entries, then their determinants are integers. Find integers, m and n, such that m= 1/n!

Going the other way, if the determinant of A is -1 or 1, use the fact that the entries of [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] are the cofactors of A divided by det(A).

Related to Determinant proof from abstract algebra

What is the determinant in abstract algebra?

The determinant in abstract algebra is a mathematical function that takes a square matrix as its input and produces a scalar value as its output. It is used to represent certain properties of a matrix, such as its invertibility and the scaling factor of linear transformations.

How is the determinant calculated in abstract algebra?

The determinant of a matrix in abstract algebra is calculated by using the Leibniz formula. This involves summing up the products of entries in the matrix, with each product having a sign determined by the arrangement of the entries. Alternatively, the determinant can also be calculated by using row operations to reduce the matrix to an upper triangular form, and then multiplying the diagonal entries.

What is the significance of the determinant in abstract algebra?

The determinant is significant in abstract algebra because it is a fundamental concept that is used to define and analyze many other algebraic structures, such as rings and fields. It also has important applications in areas such as linear algebra, differential equations, and geometry.

How does the determinant relate to other algebraic concepts?

The determinant is closely related to other algebraic concepts, such as matrix multiplication and the identity matrix. It is also used in the definition of the adjugate matrix, which is related to the inverse of a matrix. Additionally, the determinant has connections to other topics in mathematics, such as group theory and combinatorics.

What are some common properties of the determinant in abstract algebra?

Some common properties of the determinant in abstract algebra include that it is multiplicative, meaning the determinant of a product of matrices is equal to the product of their determinants. It is also linear, meaning the determinant of a sum of matrices is equal to the sum of their determinants. Additionally, the determinant is non-zero if and only if the matrix is invertible.