Detection of longitudinal and shear acoustic waves in solids

In summary, the conversation discusses using an Acoustic Emission (AE) sensor to differentiate between longitudinal (P) and shear (S) waves in solids. The speaker proposes using frequency and time-frequency analysis to detect each wave mode. They also inquire about the practicality of using frequency-based techniques and whether stress-induced cracks in materials produce distinct P and S waves at different frequencies. The speaker expresses difficulty in finding information on acoustic waveforms and asks for a source of information.
johnotoole3
I want to be able to differentiate between longitudinal(P) and Shear(S) waves in solids. Using one Acoustic emission (AE) senor placed 2 to 20 cm form a AE source e.g. a stress induced crack or pencil lead test, how can one detect both the P and S waves and determine what part of the receive waveform corresponds to which wave. I know that the P wave travels typically at twice the velocity of the S wave and also that the S wave has lower frequency (at least this is true in seismology). My hypothesis is to use analysis of the frequency and maybe with a time-frequency graph I may be able to detect when each wave mode occurs. Maybe a filter or wavelet analysis could also be helpful.
My question is basically: Do the two waves occur at different frequencies and if so what sort of difference? Is it pratical to use some sort of frequency based technique to determine when each wave has arrived at a particular sensor? Does a crack from stress being applied to a material e.g metal produce a destinct P and S wave at different frequencies or are they blended into each other somehow?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does no one out there have any infor for the above problem or even where would i find it. I have been reading books and papers and all i can find is that the velocity difference between the two wave modes nothing on frequency. A source of information on acoustic waveforms would be greatly appreciated!

Related to Detection of longitudinal and shear acoustic waves in solids

1. What is the significance of detecting longitudinal and shear acoustic waves in solids?

Detection of longitudinal and shear acoustic waves in solids is important because it allows us to study the mechanical properties of materials, such as elasticity and internal stress. This information is crucial for understanding how materials behave under different conditions and can help in the development of new materials for various applications.

2. How do you detect longitudinal and shear acoustic waves in solids?

Longitudinal and shear acoustic waves can be detected using various techniques, such as laser interferometry, ultrasonic transducers, and acoustic emission sensors. These methods involve generating and detecting acoustic waves in the solid and analyzing their properties to determine the presence and characteristics of longitudinal and shear waves.

3. What types of materials can be studied using this detection method?

The detection of longitudinal and shear acoustic waves can be used to study a wide range of materials, including metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites. The technique is particularly useful for studying materials with complex microstructures or for non-destructive testing of structural components.

4. What are some practical applications of detecting longitudinal and shear acoustic waves in solids?

The detection of longitudinal and shear acoustic waves has many practical applications in different industries. For example, it is used in the aerospace industry for testing the integrity of aircraft components. In the automotive industry, it is used for quality control of materials and components. It is also used in the field of geophysics for studying the properties of rocks and soil.

5. Are there any limitations to this detection method?

While the detection of longitudinal and shear acoustic waves has many advantages, it also has some limitations. The accuracy of the measurements can be affected by factors such as sample size, surface conditions, and the presence of defects. Additionally, this technique may not be suitable for studying highly attenuative materials or for detecting waves with very high frequencies.