Desperate for help -- studying an angular motion problem

In summary, The speaker has failed their strength of materials and dynamics courses twice due to the college's accelerated time frame. They are currently not enrolled in these courses but are trying to understand the concepts to prevent failing again. They are attempting to determine the force acting on a receiver when a slender rod with a mass of .033KG rotates 15 degrees in 60 seconds and comes to a complete stop. They have calculated the angular acceleration and are unsure of what calculation to use next. They have tried using the parallel axis theorem and the kinetic energy equation, but are still unsure of the next step. They are asking for advice on which formula to use and which element to solve for.
Hyburn
hi folks, my back story is that I have failed my strength of materials and dynamics twice. the college I am attending put these courses in an accelerated time frame... this means 14 weeks of material turned into 7 weeks of material. I am not able to learn at that pace, hence why I failed twice.

I am not in these courses right now, but am trying to grasp the concepts so it doesn't happen again.

currently I am trying determine the force acting into a reciever when a slender rod with a mass of .033KG rotates 15degrees in 60 seconds and comes to a complete stop. the radius of rotation is .2542m

my calculations:
Omega=(theta)/t
=15/60
=.25 <<--------is this correct?

with this I can determine my angular acceleration:
(alpha)=dw/dt
=.25/60
=.0042 rad/s²

not sure what calculation to goto next. I have tried the parallel axis, I have tried the KE equation... not sure which path to take. this is where it gets REALLY FOGGY!

this is about as much as I picked up in class as the rest of this process is a complete blur... any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

-drew

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to master the process so please just advise me on what formula to use and which element I am solving for.

i.e.) use the parallel axis theorum to solve for Ig

Related to Desperate for help -- studying an angular motion problem

1. What is angular motion?

Angular motion refers to the movement of an object or particle in a circular or rotational path. It is a type of motion that is measured in terms of angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

2. How do you solve an angular motion problem?

To solve an angular motion problem, you need to first identify the given variables, such as the initial and final angular positions, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. Then, use the appropriate formulas to calculate the unknown variables. It is important to also pay attention to units and use the correct equations for either linear or angular motion.

3. What are some common examples of angular motion?

Some common examples of angular motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a wheel, the swinging of a pendulum, and the orbit of planets around the sun. These all involve circular or rotational movement and can be described using angular motion concepts.

4. How does angular motion differ from linear motion?

Angular motion involves movement in a circular or rotational path, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, angular motion is measured in units of radians or degrees, while linear motion is measured in units of distance, such as meters or feet.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular motion?

Angular motion has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in the design of car engines, wind turbines, and amusement park rides. It is also used in sports, such as in the spin of a basketball or the rotation of a figure skater during a jump. In physics, angular motion is essential for understanding the behavior of objects in motion.