Linear acceleration, Angular acceleration, tension.

In summary, the mass is suspended from a flywheel and falls a distance of 0.5 m in 1.5 s. The mass of the flywheel is 3kg. The outside rad. of gyration of the wheel is 300mm. The radius of gyration is 212mm. The tension in the rope is calculated to be 1.48 rad s^-2.
tom_m132

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.5 kg is suspended from a flywheel as shown in FIGURE 2.
If the mass is released from rest and falls a distance of 0.5 m in 1.5 s.
Mass of wheel: 3kg
Outside rad. of gyration of wheel: 300mm
Radius of gyration: 212mm

calculate:

(a) The linear acceleration of the mass.
(b) The angular acceleration of the wheel.
(c) The tension in the rope.
(d) The frictional torque, resisting motion

Homework Equations

a = u t + 2s / t^2
alpha = a / r

The Attempt at a Solution

a. a = u t + 2s / t^2
= 0.444 m s^-2

b. alpha = a r
= 0.444 / 0.3
= 1.48 rad s^-2

c. Now I have found online that this is T = m (g - a) However neither my learning materials or the online answers I have found offer an explanation of this, other than it being derived from the second law F = m a. Any explanation on this would be appreciated, as I am not willing to use an answer I do not understand.

d. I am yet to try this one so am not yet looking for help, no doubt I will need it soon.

I am aware these have been answered elsewhere before, but as I said I am looking to understand c. specifically.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Tom, :welcome:

I wonder what u is in your step a) and in your first relevant equation. Must be something from SUVAT and must be zero; am I right ?
Can't find fault with your a) and b) answers, so if we aren't both wrong, all is OK there :smile:

For c) the conceptual thing to do is draw a free body diagram for the 0.5 kg mass. Can you post it ?
The complementary FBD is for the rope revving up the wheel. That'll come in handy for part d), too.

Hello and thank-you!

The U in my step is is the initial velocity value, which in this case is 0 so becomes irrelevant.

I have this picture from the question:
Untitled.jpg

I understand how the acceleration of the mass due to gravity acts upon the 0.5kg mass and causes the F = m g to act upon the rope, however its the subtraction of the mass times the acceleration I do not understand, I thought if anything that would also be causing tension on the rope rather than negating it as the acceleration is in the same x direction!

I'm sure there is something glaringly obvious I am missing!

Edit: I am not sure if it is to do with the mass of the flywheel oposing the freefall of the object perhaps?

tom_m132 said:
causes the F = m g to act upon the rope
Not correct. ##mg## acts on the mass, not on the rope.

THE free body diagram I am waiting for (:smile:) shows two forces acting on the 0.5 kg mass: the force of gravity and the tension in the rope.
The equation of motion for this mass is simply ##F_{\rm net} = ma ##

Likes tom_m132
BvU said:
Not correct. ##mg## acts on the mass, not on the rope.

THE free body diagram I am waiting for (:smile:) shows two forces acting on the 0.5 kg mass: the force of gravity and the tension in the rope.
The equation of motion for this mass is simply ##F_{\rm net} = ma ##

Ohh!
Gravity is acting on the mass pulling it downwards, however as we calculated it is only accelerating at 0.44 m s ^-2 not 9.81 m s ^-2 therefore the rope is subject to the tensional force of the difference between the two once plugged into the second law?
I have drawn a FBD (which is how I arrived at this conclusion) Not sure if it's quite right but it worked (assuming I am on the right track!)

Untitled.jpg

Thank-you so much for the help so far (again assuming I am thinking along the right lines) it seems very obvious now!

tom_m132 said:
Ohh!
I really like this kind of positive feedback: yes, a free-body diagram can really help establish insight into what's happening.
tom_m132 said:
therefore the rope is subject to the tensional force of the difference between the two once plugged into the second law
If the rope weren't there, the acceleration would be ##g## indeed, so the tension in the rope must be responsible for the difference.
As you see from writing out ##\ F_{\rm net} = ma \ ## : $$T - mg = ma $$ (up = positive, ##g## = 9.81 m/s2) leading to ##a = -9.81 ## m/s2 when T = 0 (as 'desired') and to ##a = - 0.444## m/s2 with the value of T the exercise wants as answer to c).

Likes tom_m132
Thank-you so much, I haven't done anything educational like this for a good few years now and am doing a distance learning course. Its very rewarding and I am enjoying it, however the lack of a lecturer is often a restriction as discussion is a brilliant way to aid understanding!

So I have had a go at part d. now that I have a figure for the tension.

Homework Equations

I = m k^2
T = I alpha
total torque = (m g - m a)r

The Attempt at a Solution

I = m k^2
= 3 x 0.212^2
= 0.1348

The torque needed to accelerate the flywheel:
t = I x alpha
= 0.1348 x 1.488
= 0.2001 N

So frictional torque is the total tourque minus the torque needed for acceleration:
Total= (m g - m a) x r
= 4.683 x 0.3
=1.405 N

Frictional torque = 1.405 - 0.2001
= 1.2049 N

[/B]

Looks good to me. One thing though: torque dimension is N m, not N

Likes tom_m132
BvU said:
Looks good to me. One thing though: torque dimension is N m, not N

Excellent, and thanks again for all your help!

You're welcome. Good luck with your studies !

Related to Linear acceleration, Angular acceleration, tension.

1. What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly the speed of an object changes.

2. How is linear acceleration calculated?

Linear acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for linear acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the linear acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly the rotation of an object changes.

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. When an object rotates, every point on that object has a different linear acceleration, but they all share the same angular acceleration. The linear acceleration of a point on the object can be calculated by multiplying the angular acceleration by the radius of rotation at that point. This relationship is described by the formula: a = αr, where a is the linear acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of rotation.

5. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled on from opposite ends. It is a pulling force that acts along the length of the material and is always directed away from the object that is pulling on it.