Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula

In summary: The conditions P=1 atm and V=22.4 L define the standard temperature (273 K) and pressure (1 atm) which are used for the definition of the amount of substance called mole. So they define what you mean by "one mole of gas". ehildIn summary, the ideal gas law can be derived from combining three gas laws: Boyle's Law, Charles' Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law. This allows us to express the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the amount of gas in moles. The value of the universal gas constant, R, is 8.314472 J/(molK) and it is constant for all ideal gases at any conditions. However, at very low
ProPM
I know how temperature, volume and pressure are related and I think (think because I haven't tried any exercise alone yet) I can apply PV = nRT with no problems. But usually I am not able to apply a formula until I understand how I got to it, what it means.

I'd like to start from the beginning: These are my thoughts:

Boyle's Law: P1V1 = k, since k = PV, we can replace k by PV:
P1V1 = P2V2

Applying the same logic, we get the two other rules in the same format:
V1/ T1=V2/ T2

and:

P1/ T1=P2/ T2

If we multiply all of them together: (PV / 1) x (V / T) x (P / T), we get:

P21V21/T21= P22V22/T22

And taking the square root of both sides, we get the Universal Gas Law

Now, (provided the above is correct :smile:) Is where I get confused.

I have to go from there to the famous: PV = nRT

From what I remember my teacher saying,
P1V1/ T1 is equal to a constant, as well as equal to P2V2/ T2
We could then replace constant with the letter R and to get the n apply Avogadro's Law I guess?

Well, in summary I think. My doubt is how, or to what, P1V1/ T1 is proportional to - where is the constant? Did it get "carried over" from the initial equations that have constants?" And then, where the n appears.

I hope I didn't make things VERY confusing...

Thanks a lot,
ProPM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PV must depend on the amount of gas, too. Imagine that you have two identical containers filled with the same amount of gas at the same pressure, same temperature, and the two containers are brought together, and the wall between them removed: You get a a single container with the same pressure and temperature as before, twice the original volume and twice the amount of gas. PV'/T = 2 PV/T. If you measure the amount of gas in moles (n) pV/T should be proportional to n, so PV/T=nR.

There is a theoretical derivation of the ideal gas low assuming elastic collision of the molecules with the walls of the container. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory.

ehild

Cool, I understand the relation with the amount of gas. I feel comfortable adding a (n) to the equation. But what is the R?

Check if this makes sense:

PV = k1
V / T = k2
P / T = k3

If we multiply all together:

P1V1/ T = n(k1k2k3)​

Then we can replace the k's for R.

Now, IF that's right, I understand where the constant comes from, but, looking at PV = nRT I can't picture what I do when I look at V / T = k, for example: If V increases, for K to remain the same, T must also increase.

The reasoning for including n in the ideal gas law comes from another empirically derived gas law called Avogadro's law, which states that the volume of a gas and the number of moles of gas particles are directly proportional if pressure and temperature are kept constant.

For more on the informal derivation of the ideal gas law, see my post at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3007690#post3007690

As ehild mentioned, the most rigorous derivations comes from applying assumptions of the kinetic theory of gases and you can find the derivation in most statistical mechanics textbooks.

ProPM said:
Cool, I understand the relation with the amount of gas. I feel comfortable adding a (n) to the equation. But what is the R?
R is an empirical constant. You can get R, by measuring the volume of 1 mol gas at standard condition (T=273 K and P=105Pa, for example. You would get V=0.0227 m3. What is the value of R then?

ehild

8.31! So, for any 1 mole of gas, the product of the pressure and volume divided by the temperature will always equal 8.31.

The last thing (I hope/promise)

Is it correct to say:
That the Combined Gas Law is achieved by doing the multiplication I did in my first post of the three laws. (I ask so because many places say it is a result of combining two gas laws while my book says three)

Or that: If P is inversely proportional to V and directly proportional to T, then: PV / T

Or do both work?

And finally, if it is said: a / b = a /b it is the same thing as saying: a / b is constant?

I think that's all!

ProPM said:
Is it correct to say:
That the Combined Gas Law is achieved by doing the multiplication I did in my first post of the three laws.

Or that: If P is inversely proportional to V and directly proportional to T, then: PV / T

Or do both work?
Both work. If P is proportional to T and inversely proportional to V then it can be written as P=c*T/V (c is a constant).

ProPM said:
And finally, if it is said: a / b = a /b it is the same thing as saying: a / b is constant?

a/b =a/b is an identity and it is always true. But in case a and b are functions of some variable(s) and a/b is the same for any value of the variable(s) than you can write that a/b =constant.

ehild

Ok, so I guess we can say it is constant in this case.

And the last little thing, I promise :redface:

Do you get 8.31 for one mole of any gas only at the specific conditions (1 atm, 22.4 L, 273 K) or if, for example, you change one variable, allow another to change accordingly and keep one constant it will also work?

Last edited:
ProPM said:
Do you get 8.31 for one mole of any gas only at the specific conditions (1 atm, 22.4 L, 273 K) or if, for example, you change one variable, allow another to change accordingly and keep one constant it will also work?

R is an universal constant so it must be the same for any conditions for an ideal gas: R=8.314472 J/(molK). At very low temperatures, at very high pressures the gases can deviate from the ideal behaviour and in such cases PV/(nT) will differ from 8.314472.

ehild

Related to Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula

1. What is the "Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula"?

The "Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula" is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of an ideal gas. It is derived from the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. Why is it called the "Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula"?

The term "desperate deriving" refers to the process of deriving the ideal gas law from other gas laws, such as Boyle's law and Charles's law, when the ideal gas law cannot be directly measured or observed in an experiment. This formula is often used as a last resort in scientific investigations when other methods are not applicable or available.

3. How is the "Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula" used in scientific research?

The "Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula" is used in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering, to calculate and predict the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as in the design of gas storage containers and gas-powered engines.

4. What are the limitations of the "Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula"?

Although the "Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula" is a useful tool in scientific research, it has some limitations. It only applies to ideal gases, which do not actually exist in nature, and it does not take into account intermolecular forces between gas particles. Additionally, it assumes that the gas is in a closed system with constant temperature, which may not always be the case.

5. Are there any alternative formulas for describing gas behavior?

Yes, there are several alternative formulas for describing gas behavior, such as the Van der Waals equation and the Beattie-Bridgman equation. These formulas take into account factors such as non-ideal behavior and intermolecular forces, making them more accurate for certain gases and conditions. However, the "Desperate Deriving Ideal Gas Formula" remains a useful and widely used equation in scientific research.