Desktop problem -smoking coming out

• Thread starter kant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a computer where smoke comes out from the power button and the computer shuts down. It is suggested that this is an electrical problem and the solution may be to buy a new power supply. There is also mention of a faulty switch and the potential danger of handling AC power switches.
kant
I try pushing the Start/"Shut down" buttom in my desktop, but it just starts, the light blink a couple of times, smoke comes out from the button, and the whole computer stop and die. Might this most likely be an electrical problem? if so, than could i resolve the problem by buying a new power supply ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
goodness, somke? sounds like overheating due to some sort of short circuit. Probably power problem, but i nv heard of smoke coming out from a computer ever.

Is your computer a dell? Some have exploding diodes. If it is send them an email and then send them the mobo and theyll send you a replacement.

kant said:
I try pushing the Start/"Shut down" buttom in my desktop, but it just starts, the light blink a couple of times, smoke comes out from the button, and the whole computer stop and die. Might this most likely be an electrical problem? if so, than could i resolve the problem by buying a new power supply ?

If the smoke just comes from the button, maybe you should suspect a faulty (shorted on-off) switch. This you should be able to determine by removing the cover and observing the motherboard, power supply, etc. If the smoke is just at the switch and not somewhere else in the system then it is a switch problem. If it is coming from somewhere else in the system --- you probably have bigger and more expensive problems --- and whatever it is, is probably already destroyed.

By the way, I have a bad switch in one of my systems also, and it's a problem I haven't figured out. If anyone knows exactly what the characteristics are of the switch (usually), I'd appreciate it. It's apparently a momentary shorting switch because I can start the machine by shorting the incoming leads, but there's apparently also another characteristic (like, maybe, a grounding when it is open) because when the machine is started by shorting the leads it doesn't work properly. It starts, goes through the checking routines, and then just as Windows is supposed to be brought up --- it re-boots --- over and over. Any suggestions here?

KM

The key is momentary.
Most computers nowdays will reboot if the power on connection remains shorted.
Normally, you hold down the power button for reboot.

If the power switch in the OP controls AC on/off then yes I agree with the smoke comment.

Warning that impoper handeling of an AC power switch can kill.

Most AC switches are now fully contained in the power supply case, but not all and for older computers many were exposed.
If you don't know how to tell the difference find someone who can.

Related to Desktop problem -smoking coming out

1. Why is there smoke coming out of my desktop?

There could be a few reasons for this. The most common one is that there is dust or debris stuck in the fan or ventilation system of your desktop, causing it to overheat and produce smoke. Another possibility is that there is an issue with the power supply or a component inside the desktop, which could also cause overheating and smoke.

2. Is it dangerous to have smoke coming out of my desktop?

Yes, it can be dangerous. Smoke is often a sign of overheating, which can lead to damage or malfunction of your desktop. In extreme cases, it can even cause a fire. It's important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent any potential danger.

3. Can I fix the problem myself?

If you are experienced with computers and know how to safely open and work on a desktop, you may be able to fix the problem yourself. However, if you are not familiar with the inner workings of a desktop, it's best to seek professional help to avoid causing further damage or harm to yourself.

4. How can I prevent smoke from coming out of my desktop?

Regularly cleaning and dusting your desktop can help prevent overheating and smoke. It's also important to make sure your desktop has proper ventilation and is not placed in an area with poor air circulation. Avoid blocking the fan or vents of your desktop as well.

5. Should I continue using my desktop if there is smoke coming out?

No, it's not recommended to continue using your desktop if there is smoke coming out. Shut it down immediately and address the issue before using it again. Continuing to use a desktop with smoke coming out can lead to further damage and potentially dangerous situations.