Designing Motorbike Frame: Researching Forces & CAD Design

In summary, the speaker is designing and building a motorbike frame for a project in Mechanical Engineering and is struggling with finding information on how to calculate forces on the frame in different conditions. They are using SolidWorks for their project.
billybomb
Hi,

Firstly i just want to apologise if this is in the incorrect part of the forum.

I'm designing and building a motorbike frame for my 3rd year project in Mechanical Engineering.

I've started my research into finding the optimal geometry for the purpose of the frame, however I'm really struggling in finding how to calculate forces acting on the frame in static, dynamic and worst case scenario conditions. I was hoping someone else may have done a similar project and could point me in the right direction to gather the information required so I can actually start designing the frame on CAD!

Any information I'd be eternally grateful,

Thanks,

Will

Engineering news on Phys.org
billybomb said:
Hi,

Firstly i just want to apologise if this is in the incorrect part of the forum.

I'm designing and building a motorbike frame for my 3rd year project in Mechanical Engineering.

I've started my research into finding the optimal geometry for the purpose of the frame, however I'm really struggling in finding how to calculate forces acting on the frame in static, dynamic and worst case scenario conditions. I was hoping someone else may have done a similar project and could point me in the right direction to gather the information required so I can actually start designing the frame on CAD!

Any information I'd be eternally grateful,

Thanks,

Will

Sounds like a fun and useful project! You will need FEA software to do the analyses you mention. What software do you have available for this?

I hope so! It's quite frustrating at the moment trying to find the relevant information. And yes I will doing both simulation and actually testing the frame once it's made to hopefully compare them. I'm using solidworks as that's what my university uses!

Related to Designing Motorbike Frame: Researching Forces & CAD Design

1. What are the main forces acting on a motorbike frame?

The main forces acting on a motorbike frame are the weight of the rider and the bike, acceleration and deceleration forces, and the forces generated by the engine and road conditions.

2. How do these forces affect the design of a motorbike frame?

These forces must be carefully considered in the design of a motorbike frame in order to ensure the frame can withstand the stresses and strains placed on it during operation. They also impact the weight, balance, and stability of the bike.

3. What role does CAD design play in the process of designing a motorbike frame?

CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software allows engineers to create and test multiple designs virtually, without the need for physical prototypes. This allows for more efficient and accurate design iterations, saving time and resources.

4. How does material choice impact the strength and performance of a motorbike frame?

The choice of material for a motorbike frame is crucial in determining its strength, weight, and performance. Different materials, such as steel, aluminum, or carbon fiber, have different properties and will affect the overall design and functionality of the frame.

5. What are some common techniques used to test the strength of a motorbike frame?

To ensure the frame can withstand the forces it will experience during operation, engineers use techniques such as finite element analysis, stress testing, and physical load testing. These methods help identify potential weak points and allow for further design improvements.