Designing/Building a model Spaceship. help

In summary: I've never seen that particular model before. Right the first time! :smile:But no, I'm sorry to say that it's not mine. I've never seen that particular model before.
Mange
For a school project, I may need to construct a model of a futuristic spaceship. This might be like something that you would see on "Star Wars". This model would have to open up to reveal the essential components needed for interstellar travel (i.e. engine, hyper drive, etc.)

How might i go about building this?:
- what materials should I use?
- what might the components look like?
- and so on...

Physics news on Phys.org
Mange said:
For a school project, I may need to construct a model of a futuristic spaceship.
I want to go to your school. :!)
Mange said:
This might be like something that you would see on "Star Wars". This model would have to open up to reveal the essential components needed for interstellar travel (i.e. engine, hyper drive, etc.)

How might i go about building this?:
- what materials should I use?
- what might the components look like?
- and so on...

I have a few spaceships kicking around. I start with a sheet of styrene plastic and build up from there.
For spindly projections, I use brass tubing from the hobby shop.
For components, I collect (or cannibalize) all sorts of plastic debris - toothpaste/shampoo caps. Also, kitbash old model car model kits.
Also, I frequent the local electronics surplus store. You can pick up handfuls of tiny fiddly components that look great stuck on.
Glue: styrene glue and 5-minute epoxy glue.

See attached pic. (BTW, all those panels tilt about 60 degrees in any direction on universal joints.)

Attachments

• PF20100329_spaceship.jpg
    PF20100329_spaceship.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Thusly.

Attachments

• PF20100329_spaceship2.jpg
    PF20100329_spaceship2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 742
well thank you so much sir

bubba3222 said:
Styrene is the best way to go along with maybe some clear PETG sheet. They are both great in forming and modeling. I use styrene a lot with various projects specifically my train layout. It's great for backgrounds and making models cars, stuff like that. Give this website that I found a try. I have bought stuff from them before and seemed to have a lot of materials for modeling that could help you. Good luck! http://bit.ly/oKIR89

Well, you're about a year and a half late, but...

DaveC426913 said:
Well, you're about a year and a half late, but...

Good thing, because otherwise I'd never have seen this way cool spaceship! :smile:
Pity the OP did not report back with his spaceship.

However, the parts seem to be improperly named...
I'd have expected a hyper-drive, quantum-teleporter, matter-converter, holo-simulator, ... :wink:

I like Serena said:
Good thing, because otherwise I'd never have seen this way cool spaceship! :smile:

Thanks.

I am rather proud of it. It's actually the second time I built it. The first one sort of disintegrated over time. So I rebuilt it. (That is no mean feat for someone who has difficulty completing a project the first time let alone the second.)

Alas, my career just did not go in that direction. Not sure why.

DaveC426913 said:
Alas, my career just did not go in that direction. Not sure why.

Neh, neither did mine.

I like Serena said:
Neh, neither did mine.

John Dykstra of Star Wars fame was my hero. I think I may have set my goal too high.

Say, is that a LEGO Escher staircase? Is it yours?

DaveC426913 said:
John Dykstra of Star Wars fame was my hero. I think I may have set my goal too high.

Say, is that a LEGO Escher staircase? Is it yours?

Right the first time! :smile:
But no, I'm sorry to say that it's not mine.

Related to Designing/Building a model Spaceship. help

1. How do I choose the scale and size for my model spaceship?

The scale and size of your model spaceship will depend on several factors, including the purpose of your model, the materials you have available, and your own personal preferences. It is important to research and gather reference materials to help you decide on the appropriate scale and size for your specific project.

2. What materials should I use to build my model spaceship?

The materials you use to build your model spaceship will depend on your budget, the level of detail you want to achieve, and your personal skill level. Some common materials used for model spaceships include plastic, wood, metal, and paper. It is important to choose materials that are durable and suitable for the scale of your model.

3. How can I make my model spaceship look more realistic?

To make your model spaceship look more realistic, you can use various techniques such as weathering, painting, and adding small details. Weathering involves adding wear and tear to your model to make it look more used and realistic. Painting can add depth and dimension to your model, while adding small details like decals and panel lines can enhance the overall appearance.

4. What tools and equipment do I need to build a model spaceship?

The tools and equipment you will need to build a model spaceship will depend on the materials you are using and the level of detail you want to achieve. Some basic tools include a hobby knife, sandpaper, glue, and paint. More advanced techniques may require additional tools such as an airbrush, soldering iron, and precision cutting tools.

5. How can I add lighting to my model spaceship?

Adding lighting to your model spaceship can greatly enhance its appearance and make it stand out. There are various ways to add lighting, such as using LED lights, fiber optics, or even creating your own wiring and circuitry. It is important to plan and test your lighting before permanently attaching it to your model to ensure it works properly and looks realistic.