Designing a Tornado Machine

In summary: Additionally, you may need to vary the diameter of the holes along the length of the pipes to achieve the desired effect. Ultimately, it may require some experimentation to find the perfect balance for a nice funnel-shaped twister. In summary, to create a nice funnel-shaped twister with a tornado machine, one must carefully control the speed and direction of the air exiting the pipes, potentially varying the hole diameter along the pipes as well. Experimentation may be needed to find the right balance for desired results.
Meatball
Hoping one will look nice in my new living room, I want one constructed about 7 feet high.

I think I understand the basics of how these machines work, but I'm wanting to change something.

Most tornado machines you see produce mini twisters that are shaped with parallel sides- to where the twister isn't even a funnel anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYMfdchcASw&feature=bf_prev&list=WLE5754075D91FD0B3&index=26

Pretty cool eh?

So my question is, if I want a nice funnel shaped twister, do I want faster rotating air at the bottom of the twister? Or toward the top?

I'm not entirely sure how to linearly change the rotation speed of the air as a function of height, but I have one idea.

I haven't seen any machines that produce this effect, so I'm assuming it makes things more difficult. :P

I'm thinking that a larger diameter updraft fan will allow top funnel diameter to expand.

Anyone have ANY idea if I'm going to be any desirable results?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62275796@N08/5660128324/in/photostream

Is increasing d a good idea?

There are PVC pipes in the four corners of the display case.

Air is forced into each of these pipes via squirrel fan. This air escapes through the many holes drilled along the height of each pipes. Each pipe is then rotated to where the force air from the drilled holes moves from one corner to the adjacent corner. This cause the needed rotation. There is a large fan on top of the device sucking air out of the display, causing the low pressure needed to draw the vortex upwards.

So how do I prevent a silly constant diameter vortex from forming? Should I vary the pvc hole diameters along the length of the pipes?

Larger holes may yield more air leaving the pipe at a slower rate, while smaller holes may yield a faster air escaped speed, but less air might leave the tube during each second..

Where is the draw off? Where is that line drawn?

Engineering news on Phys.org
When does the air leave the pipe in a way that will cause the vortex to be funnel-shaped? I think it's a combination of controlling the speed of the air, the direction in which it is leaving the pipe, and the rate at which the air is leaving the pipe. You want to create a balance between the rotation of the air and the speed at which it exits the pipe. The faster the air is exiting, the more narrow the funnel of the twister should be. The slower the speed, the wider the funnel should be.

Related to Designing a Tornado Machine

1. How does a tornado machine work?

A tornado machine works by creating a vortex of air inside a chamber, similar to how a real tornado forms in the atmosphere. This is typically achieved by using a fan or blower to circulate air within the chamber, creating a low pressure area in the center and high pressure at the edges, causing a vortex to form.

2. What materials are needed to build a tornado machine?

The materials needed to build a tornado machine can vary depending on the design, but typically include a large cylindrical chamber, a fan or blower, a base or stand to support the chamber, and various connectors and fittings to direct the airflow. Other optional materials may include a power source, speed controller, and various sensors for data collection.

3. Is it possible to control the size and intensity of the tornado produced by the machine?

Yes, it is possible to control the size and intensity of the tornado produced by the machine by adjusting the speed of the fan or blower, the size and shape of the chamber, and the angle and placement of the airflow. Additionally, using different materials and adding obstacles or barriers within the chamber can also affect the tornado's size and intensity.

4. Can a tornado machine be used for scientific research?

Yes, tornado machines can be used for scientific research, particularly in the fields of meteorology and fluid dynamics. They provide a controlled environment for studying the formation and behavior of tornadoes, and can also be used to test the effectiveness of different building structures and materials against tornado-force winds.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when designing a tornado machine?

Yes, it is important to consider safety precautions when designing a tornado machine. The machine should be operated in a well-ventilated area to prevent build-up of harmful gases, and all components should be securely fastened to prevent any parts from flying off during operation. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when handling the machine and its components.