Designing a Space Capsule for ISS to Earth transits

In summary, Vamsi from India is currently pursuing a Masters in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Houston-Houston-Texas-USA. As part of a course on space vehicle design, he is working on a team project to design a space capsule for transporting astronauts and instruments to the ISS. Vamsi is specifically responsible for the landing mechanism and atmospheric reentry aspects of the project and is seeking help in completing it within one month. Suggestions for reaching out to experts and conducting research were provided, and it was recommended to focus on these methods rather than using the game "Kerbal Space Program" due to time constraints.
vamsinaruto
My name is Vamsi and I am from India. I am currently pursuing Ms in ME at University of Houston-Houston-Texas-USA. I have taken a course called "space vehicle design" in which we need to form a team and do a project of our choice. My team project is "Designing a space capsule to carry astronauts and instruments from Earth to ISS in which my role is related to landing mechanism and atmospheric reentry for space capsule. So, I need help regarding this. I have only one month to complete and submit my project.
Any help would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Also will it be helpful if I try the game "Kerbal Space Program" with the limited time available to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I adjusted your post and its title to reflect that you want help with designing your vehicle and moved it to the engineering forums where more folks will see it.

Hi Vamsi,

It's great to hear about your project and your interest in space vehicle design. Landing mechanism and atmospheric reentry are definitely important aspects to consider in designing a space capsule for transporting astronauts and instruments to the ISS.

One suggestion I have is to reach out to experts in the field or professors at your university for guidance and advice. They may have valuable insights and resources that could help you with your project. Additionally, you could also try conducting some research online or looking for relevant books or articles that could provide useful information.

In terms of using the game "Kerbal Space Program," it could be a helpful tool for understanding the basics of spaceflight and orbital mechanics. However, since you have limited time, I would recommend focusing more on actual research and guidance from experts to ensure the accuracy and feasibility of your project.

I wish you all the best in completing your project and hope you are able to create a successful design for your space capsule. Good luck!

Related to Designing a Space Capsule for ISS to Earth transits

1. How is the space capsule designed to protect astronauts during transit?

The space capsule is designed with multiple layers of heat shields and insulation to protect against the extreme temperatures of re-entry into Earth's atmosphere. It also has a sturdy structure to withstand the forces of launch and landing.

2. What technology is used for navigation during the journey?

The space capsule is equipped with advanced navigation systems such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, and GPS to ensure accurate and precise navigation during the journey. It also has backup systems in case of any malfunctions.

3. How does the space capsule ensure a safe and comfortable environment for astronauts?

The space capsule has a life support system that provides a constant supply of oxygen, removes carbon dioxide, and controls temperature and humidity levels. It also has a waste management system and supplies of food, water, and other necessities for the astronauts.

4. Can the space capsule be reused for multiple trips?

Yes, the space capsule is designed to be reusable for multiple trips. It undergoes thorough inspections and maintenance after each trip to ensure it is safe and functional for future journeys.

5. How is the space capsule launched and returned to Earth?

The space capsule is launched into orbit using a rocket and then docks with the International Space Station (ISS). When it is time to return to Earth, it detaches from the ISS and re-enters the atmosphere. Parachutes are deployed to slow its descent, and it lands safely on land or in water.