Designing a Roll Cage for an Electric Car

In summary, In order to design a roll cage for an electric car, the student needs to think about what the roll cage will do. The student needs to think about how the cage will protect the passengers in the event of a rollover. The student needs to think about how to make the arch of the roll cage strong. However, if the arch of the roll cage interferes with the design of the frame, the student can replace the tubes with a different member.
Abhishekdas
I am a bachelors mechanical engineering student with a decent factual knowledge about cars and how they work. But i am a novice with no experience when it comes to design. Now I (along with 3 other guys) have been assigned the task of designing the roll cage of an electric car. I did not get any relevant theory material in the net and I do not have any books covering roll cage design. So I request you all to guide me through by referring some websites or books which covers this topic and how to go about with the design in general.
The details which have been decided upon are :
1. Car for 2 people
2. Range - 100 kms in one charge
3. Max speed- 6 mph
4. 4 batteries weigh total 40 kgs
5. Motor + transmission = 30 kgs
6. Rear wheel drive (single wheel at the rear) and two wheels at front with steering

Thanking you in adavance...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Abhishekdas said:
I am a bachelors mechanical engineering student with a decent factual knowledge about cars and how they work. But i am a novice with no experience when it comes to design. Now I (along with 3 other guys) have been assigned the task of designing the roll cage of an electric car. I did not get any relevant theory material in the net and I do not have any books covering roll cage design. So I request you all to guide me through by referring some websites or books which covers this topic and how to go about with the design in general.
The details which have been decided upon are :
1. Car for 2 people
2. Range - 100 kms in one charge
3. Max speed- 6 mph
4. 4 batteries weigh total 40 kgs
5. Motor + transmission = 30 kgs
6. Rear wheel drive (single wheel at the rear) and two wheels at front with steering

Thanking you in adavance...

We do not do your schoolwork for you here on the PF. You need to show some effort on the project before we can be of tutorial help. What kind of things have you looked at so far? How are roll cages designed for different existing vehicles? What kind of things will you need to take into account when you chose the materials and structure?

As of now my only concrete source were SAE Baja Team reports. But My situation is different. Out there they had fixed the thickness and outer diameter of the roll cage tubes and the basic structure of the roll cage was fixed - All part of the rules. In my case i don't know how to start. All I gathered was that in these sort of cases you are better off using triangles to complete the structure. We did not get details of the design of roll cages in the internet anywhere. So we decided to start by making random base designs in Solidworks and now we plan to put loads and analyse these base structures using Ansys. So our approach right now is vague and I don't even know if its right. So I was hoping for some guidance.

Start by thinking about what you want your roll cage to do. An electric car with a max speed of 6mph isn't going to do a high speed rollover crash on its own, but it might get hit by another vehicle.

On the other hand, if it does roll over, the roll cage needs to be strong enough to support the vehicle upside down without collapsing and crushing the passengers, for example. It might need to be strong enough so the passengers can roll the vehicle back onto its wheels, without needing to use a crane. Etc, etc...

Abhishekdas: You may have seen this already, but check out this http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/fab-shop/23738.htm thread. It contains lots of advice. It is a lot to assimilate, but you can start. And here appears to be another copy of post 1, without all the additional, helpful comments.

However, although I am not an expert roll cage designer nor builder, I currently would not prohibit all non-triangulated members. I currently would say there is one exception. If I recall correctly, I think I have commonly seen a U-shaped tube roll bar, somewhere in the vicinity of above the seat headrests, something like as shown in Figure 1 in my attached file (?). I currently would say, if you wish to use this member, you can make the arch (the U-shaped roll bar) quite strong, by increasing its wall thickness until it becomes resistant to collapse (including lateral shear distortion, during rollover), which is a somewhat natural function of an arch shape.

But if the pink tubes in Figure 1 interfere with your frame design, etc., then you could potentially, alternately replace the pink tubes with some variation of something like the green tubes in Figure 2 (?), if it would make the roll bar strong enough.

And I think I sometimes have seen a second of these roll bars in the vicinity of the windshield, which can optionally be shorter than the rear roll bar, if you wish.

Keep in mind, these diagrams are in no way intended to be complete. You can attach other things to these members (although I think I have occasionally seen them alone, if I recall). Also, the attached diagrams are in no way intended to imply that every detail should be exactly as I drew. I just arbitrarily drew those. I do not know the exact best, optimum shape factors, nor details.

Attachments

• roll-bar-01.png
    roll-bar-01.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 687
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
I would like to thank you both for your replies... But before I go ahead I would like to correct myself... Max speed is 60 mph and not 6.
So coming to what I did. I think I should go ahead by building a Base first. We are planning on going for something with a rectangular outline with a front U as nvn suggested and within it i will include cross (2 triangles) or triangular members. On top of the framework loads (Uniformy distributed) will have to be applied at the nodes(using ansys). Loads will be static ones(mentioned in my fist post). Am i doing it right? Am I missing out on anything

There are two distinct approaches to designing roll frames, (ROPS).

Elastic. The first is to design a frame strong enough to remain elastic under all possible situations. That is a heavy design and will be uneconomic as part of a high efficiency vehicle. This first solution is applicable where protection will be required to operate several times in the life of the vehicle. This design will typically have straight lengths of large diameter tube with heavy common joints.

Plastic. The second approach is to design a frame to absorb energy by plastic deformation. That is a low cost, low weight, highest economy solution. The frame should be designed so it will crumple progressively. This solution requires total replacement if it is ever deformed once. Variations of this plastic approach are used in current vehicle design. The components will typically be curved with thicker walled small diameter tubes that meet at separate points.

Look at specifications from international motorsport organisations such as FIA, CAMS etc, example.

Packaging the batteries so they aren't dislodged in a rollover is critical.

Related to Designing a Roll Cage for an Electric Car

1. How does the design of a roll cage for an electric car differ from a traditional gasoline car?

The design of a roll cage for an electric car is similar to that of a traditional gasoline car in terms of providing structural support and protection for the occupants. However, there are a few key differences to keep in mind. Since electric cars do not have a heavy engine or fuel tank, the roll cage can be designed to be lighter and more efficient. Additionally, the placement of the battery pack in electric cars may require modifications to the roll cage design for optimal protection.

2. What materials are typically used to construct a roll cage for an electric car?

The most commonly used material for constructing a roll cage for an electric car is high-strength steel. This material is strong, lightweight, and can withstand high impact forces. Other materials such as aluminum or carbon fiber may also be used, but they are typically more expensive and may not provide the same level of protection.

3. How do you determine the appropriate size and shape of a roll cage for an electric car?

The size and shape of a roll cage for an electric car should be determined based on the specific make and model of the car, as well as any regulations or safety standards that must be followed. Additionally, factors such as weight distribution and the location of the battery pack should be taken into consideration to ensure optimal protection for the occupants.

4. Can a roll cage be added to an existing electric car?

In most cases, it is possible to add a roll cage to an existing electric car. However, it is important to consult with a professional engineer or mechanic to ensure that the roll cage is properly installed and does not interfere with the car's electrical components. It is also important to make sure that the roll cage design meets all safety standards and regulations.

5. Are there any safety regulations or standards that must be followed when designing a roll cage for an electric car?

Yes, there are several safety regulations and standards that must be followed when designing a roll cage for an electric car. These may vary depending on the location and intended use of the car, but some common standards include the FIA (Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile) regulations for motorsports and the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) in the United States. It is important to research and adhere to these standards to ensure the roll cage provides adequate protection for the occupants.